Newcomer

Default Mobile Scanner Antenna Question

Ok, Im volunteer Fire dept here in NJ, I got a scanner and I want a roof mount antenna,

the one that drills into the roof and Mounts to the roof and you run the wire under the headliner to the unit. I also want to be able to have a broad range of frequencies to pick up,

I read the FAQ too

My question is, What is the Preferred antenna to run, or the best on the market I should say, what do I need to mount it, and someone told me I need a special drill bit(not a hole saw) but Im guessing there lying lol.

Help would be appreciated , thanks ~Mike

Power User

Default Re: Problem, and I need your help.

I think what you're looking for is an "NMO antenna mount. you can get them to fit holes from 3/8 to 3/4. It's designed to fit beneath headliners and once you get the mount you can just change antennas by unsrewing one and screwing the new one on.

I believe that the bit you're looking for is called a "Unibit". You can get one at Lowes. It's a good bit for drilling holes in sheetmetal with a hand drill.

I'm running a BMAXscan 1000 antenna which works well for conventional and 800 systems.

Drill that hole!

Professional

Default Re: Problem, and I need your help.

Just be sure to seal the grommet with silicone or your headliner will suffer

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Mobile Scanner Antenna Question

Quote Originally Posted by BlackfrontyMike View Post
    I also want to be able to have a broad range of frequencies to pick up...
    A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none. We'd all love the two inch antenna that performed excellent from shortwave to microwave, but it doesn't exist. You will be sacrificing performance on all bands by trying.

Most people don't need an all band antenna, even though they want one. Do you really need low-band VHF? Do you really need 800? Most areas of the country tend towards one end of the spectrum, with very little or no activity at the other end. In the vast majority of cases, the best way to go is to buy an antenna devoted to the one or two bands that are most important to you, and just don't worry about the others. Even with a band specific antenna, you'll get them good enough.

For instance, if the FDs and PDs in your area use low-band and high-band VHF mostly, and those are your primary interests, then get a VHF antenna, so those bands are golden. You'll still receive 800 as well as with a multi-band. If your primary interests are on UHF and 800, then get an 800 cellular antenna, and both bands will be excellent. VHF not as good, but VHF is very strong, so you'll still hear fine.

If you really think you need an "all band" antenna because of your situation, then the Maxrad that srtga uses is the way to go.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackfrontyMike View Post
    Ok, Im volunteer Fire dept here in NJ, I got a scanner and I want a roof mount antenna,

the one that drills into the roof and Mounts to the roof and you run the wire under the headliner to the unit. I also want to be able to have a broad range of frequencies to pick up,

I read the FAQ too

My question is, What is the Preferred antenna to run, or the best on the market I should say, what do I need to mount it, and someone told me I need a special drill bit(not a hole saw) but Im guessing there lying lol.

Help would be appreciated , thanks ~Mike
    I don't use it personally, but I've heard great things about the Larsen Tri Band; idk if that'd cover the frequencies you need.

Power User

I have two Austin Spectres for my two scanners.