Default Question about NMO

Hey everyone!

I haven't been around much lately - got busy with school and a few side projects. I think it's time to do a little upgrading on my setup. Currently I'm running a Wilson 1k for my CB, and using my Lil' Wil on my scanner. While this setup works great, I'd like to go with something a bit more stealth. I'm also a bit tired of pulling my antennas every night when pulling into the garage.

I have a 1998 Blazer, and I'm thinking that I'd like to put an NMO mount for my CB on the left side, parallel to the FM antenna. Then, I'd like to put a scanner NMO antenna on the opposite side, next to the FM antenna. Ideally these mounts will sprout from under the hood, then come slightly over the front fender (if that makes ANY sense). I have a few questions about this setup:

What are the NMO antennas that will work the best for this application?
    What mounts are going to work best?
    Am I going to see largely reduced performance in comparison to my current setup?

If anyone has answers to any of these questions, please let me know!

Dave

Professional

Default Re: Question about NMO

"good" CB antennas will always have long whips. I have an Antennex/Laird C27 on the driver side fender of my Tahoe and I will still hit things overhead like tree branches, overhangs, etc.

That being said, the Antennex/Laird C27 (or CB27) is one of the best, base-loaded, NMO antennas you can get. They don't look like a Wilson or "the other brand" of antennas so they are a bit more stealthy in that regard. You will not see any significant increase or decrease with the Antennex over the Wilson. A base-load is a base-load really, the only thing that sets the Wil apart from Joe-Blow's CB antennas is that they use a little bit better parts, so the antenna is a little more durable. Base-loaded antennas don't typically function any better or worse from each other if your SWR is good. Antennex/Laird is a very good and well-known antenna manufacturer in the commercial world, so you are still getting an excellent quality antenna.

You will notice a difference between base load and center load antennas, but you probably do not want to go to a center load on your little Blazer. It would look a little out of place on and definately not be "stealth." But then again, so do 40m ham antennas that people try to mount on their Malibus... which I am all for!
    Last edited by Arvetus; 02-22-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the information, Arvetus. Do you happen to know of a mount that will work well with what I'm wanting? I'm thinking the mount should be roughly the same as the one on your Tahoe, since you pretty much described the same setup. I'm assuming the C27 is also 62", as is the 1k. Any recommendations for a scanner antenna? I'm also thinking about just leaving the Lil Wil' as my scanner antenna - it works rather well.

Dave

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Arvetus View Post
    "good" CB antennas will always have long whips. I have an Antennex/Laird C27 on the driver side fender of my Tahoe and I will still hit things overhead like tree branches, overhangs, etc.

That being said, the Antennex/Laird C27 (or CB27) is one of the best, base-loaded, NMO antennas you can get. They don't look like a Wilson or "the other brand" of antennas so they are a bit more stealthy in that regard. You will not see any significant increase or decrease with the Antennex over the Wilson. A base-load is a base-load really, the only thing that sets the Wil apart from Joe-Blow's CB antennas is that they use a little bit better parts, so the antenna is a little more durable. Base-loaded antennas don't typically function any better or worse from each other if your SWR is good. Antennex/Laird is a very good and well-known antenna manufacturer in the commercial world, so you are still getting an excellent quality antenna.

You will notice a difference between base load and center load antennas, but you probably do not want to go to a center load on your little Blazer. It would look a little out of place on and definately not be "stealth." But then again, so do 40m ham antennas that people try to mount on their Malibus... which I am all for!
    Ditto. I think the 2700s are 48" tall and it may just be me but the 27 seems to be a much better performing antenna than a lil wil.