Good Citizen

Default Thoughts on mounting location.

What is your guys's thoughts on mounting a cb radio in the trunk area of the car? Using a microphone extension to run the mic to the front seat, and an external speaker with volume control. Besides not being able to quickly change channels on the radio, can anyone think of some down falls to this?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Thoughts on mounting location.

There are a few radios on the market with all of the controls in a slightly larger-than-normal mic, with the final RF deck mounted remotely.

Some radios also have channel up/down buttons on the mic.

The only problem I can imagine would be not knowing what channel you are on if you just have the buttons on the mic (unless another receiver could tell you, such as a scanner), as well as possible signal loss in a mic cable that long, to the point where it would be unusable.

Good Citizen

I wouldn't want one of those butt hole radios, I am talking a full fledged radio. Channel 19 is the only channel I have any concern for.

Experienced

I don't think I'd want to roll without a squelch. Out of all the various knobs and buttons on the radios I have, volume and squelch are about the only ones I ever mess with on a regular basis, RF gain being a distant third, and channel being almost a waste of a knob. It seems like it wouldn't be too complicated (at least, not for a competent tech) to remove those two controls from the faceplate and put them on the other end of 10-15 feet of wire.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradthemad View Post
    It seems like it wouldn't be too complicated (at least, not for a competent tech) to remove those two controls from the faceplate and put them on the other end of 10-15 feet of wire.
    Actually, it wouldn't be hard at all, they are just two pots, usually mounted on a small board directly behind the faceplate, or on little metal divots.

Good Citizen

That is an excellent point brad, for reason squelch didn't occur to me. I have another mounting location in mind, but it would be out in the open. I'm afraid that it may encourage theft if people can see the radio sitting out and about. Thoughts?

Advanced Member

The thing with mounting remotely would still be the issue of signal loss in a long run of mic cord.

Come to think about it, somewhere, possibly RadioReference, a person went through the trouble of remoting a whole Cobra 29 chassis, with the faceplate on the dash. Way too much effort if you ask me!

But...what if you mounted the chassis of the radio under a seat, for instance, and used a 9 foot mic cord (I think that is the longest I have seen), with the RF gain/squelch/volume knobs relocated to a small switch panel perhaps.

When I think remote mount, I tend to think trunk mounting, but that doesn't have to be the case.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by dewby View Post
    What is your guys's thoughts on mounting a cb radio in the trunk area of the car? Using a microphone extension to run the mic to the front seat, and an external speaker with volume control. Besides not being able to quickly change channels on the radio, can anyone think of some down falls to this?
    No channel change is bad enough, but..

No squelch control...No way to confirm what channel/frequency you're on....No way to check your SWR on the fly, No way to adjust your mic gain and RF gain on the fly... shall I go on?

Just don't do it.

Experienced

I don't know man, the way you are thinking is a lot of work and with the restrictions it will create and lack of radio control, I think you will be sorry you did this, just MHO. Check out the Midland 75-822 portable. I have one and it is a kick ass little radio. You can even run it through a small amp to boost the power. The receive is pretty good as well, depending on the antenna you go with.