Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default Police scanner model suggestions?

    Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    The Buckeye State
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Police scanner model suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford909 View Post
    Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

    Thanks in advance.

    I can help. I've owned scanners for years, but today your scanner is useless against the new technology public service uses. If you Google APCO Project 25, you'll learn Cops and others now use military grade scrambling to hide their communications. You'll need a scanner that can program that. It's not cheap, but Uniden has a dog or two in this fight, with a learning curve. I hope that helps.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Police scanner model suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford909 View Post
    Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

    Thanks in advance.

    I can help. I've owned scanners for years, but today your scanner is useless against the new technology public service uses. If you Google APCO Project 25, you'll learn Cops and others now use military grade scrambling to hide their communications. You'll need a scanner that can program that. It's not cheap, but Uniden has a dog or two in this fight, with a learning curve. I hope that helps.
    Thanks for that info. Will read up on that a bit more, but looking into the list I'm using as a basis for good options, I saw around 5 models from Uniden there. I'll keep on reading about this and see which one can do away with the tighter police comms security.

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    The Buckeye State
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Police scanner model suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford909 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford909 View Post
    Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

    Thanks in advance.

    I can help. I've owned scanners for years, but today your scanner is useless against the new technology public service uses. If you Google APCO Project 25, you'll learn Cops and others now use military grade scrambling to hide their communications. You'll need a scanner that can program that. It's not cheap, but Uniden has a dog or two in this fight, with a learning curve. I hope that helps.
    Thanks for that info. Will read up on that a bit more, but looking into the list I'm using as a basis for good options, I saw around 5 models from Uniden there. I'll keep on reading about this and see which one can do away with the tighter police comms security.
    Whatever your choice is, the manufacture will note if it's P25 capable. If you want to learn more about P25 the .pdf file to Google is P25UNS P25 SoR

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
  2. What was your first police scanner?
    By proudNMAmember in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
  3. So I called the police and asked what model radar/LIDAR they used
    By zr1 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. Scanner suggestions please
    By Kremithefrog in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-16-2006, 07:00 AM
  5. specific suggestions\\recommendations for scanner in NYC
    By TeamQuack in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 11:23 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •