Default local police "channels"

how do u go about getting your local police on cb? i cant seem to find our "channel" for the city i live in.... Richfield OH

Advanced Member

Default Re: local police "channels"

Quote Originally Posted by thephildo
    how do u go about getting your local police on cb? i cant seem to find our "channel" for the city i live in.... Richfield OH
    I could be wrong, but I don't think a lot of police monitor the CB anymore. I think they used to listen on Ch 9...

i was just wondering this so i can listen in on there talks...my friends dad is a firemen and heres all the stuff on his radio, but i was wondering, to find out the channel, just so i can listen to the police reports, like a scanner...dont wanna talk just listen

sorry for the confusion, but thank you very much, for the info EXACTLY what i was looking for, and love this site..... also sorry for the questioning but what sort of scanner would i want to get, model, and everything.. im new to this scanning thing, but my dad has one and i like the informatino......so if u could walk me step by step and how much it will cost, i wuold much appreciate that....

Professional

just keep on channel 19 some local cops sandbag to listen for there prey :wink: i mean to get the cb rambos redhand when cause trouble on the cb air waves

Advanced Member

That system is trunked, so you need a Trunktracking scanner. There are different ones out there, you just have to look at the features to see what you want.

so it really doesnt matter what scanner i get do they all get the same channels and what not???

Newcomer

You need a scanner, not a CB. A (stock) CB transmits and receives in the 11meter (~27Mhz) band. A scanner typically receives (only, no transmitting) all frequencies commonly used by police. Trunktracking is somewhat complex but a google search will teach you a lot. In fact, someone somewhere probably has already come up with a programming matrix for your intended taget system. As a rank newbie, maybe your best bet is to find a radioshack with an employee knowledgable on scanners. You may have to visit a few stores before you find the right person. But they are local and they have all the things you need; scanners, antennas, power adapters, frequency books, etc. As you get more into the hobby you can make better or more tailored purchases online.