Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Step 3: CB radio & antenna + the rest

It's time for step 3 of my countermeasure system. I've been doing a lot of reading to try and understand CB radios, but I'm having a little trouble since I really have no knowledge in this area. From what I understand all I need is a CB radio & antenna and just go to a shop that will tune and peak it?

THE RADIO:
    After reading a bit I think I've narrowed it down to the Cobra 29 WXNW-ST or Uniden PC-78 Elite (unless someone has a better suggestion). Basically the same price. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

THE ANTENNA:
    The antenna is where I'm getting a bit lost and could use some help. Like everyone else I wanted something that would blend in but not lack performance. Seems like that isn't possible. However if a 3 ft antenna can still give me a fair couple mile reception that is probably good enough for my simple countermeasure use.

I was looking at getting the wilson 5000 short load 39" whip or a 3' Firestik 2. Since I don't really know much about antenna's I have no idea if these would be good. I have seen quite a few references to these brands though.

Also, would dual firestiks on either side of the trunk perform better? I'm more concerned about height than looks and if dual 3' would perform the same as a single 5' that would be great.

MOUNTING:
    I would like to mount whatever I get using a trunk lip mount. However I currently live in a bad area where if it's on the outside of my car and can be stolen it will be (eventually). I need something that can be detached and stowed. Since I'll only be using the CB for highway driving it will stay stowed during the week until I make my hefty weekend trips. Any recommendations here?
    Last edited by roni; 04-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Step 3: CB radio & antenna + the rest

Quote Originally Posted by roni View Post
    It's time for step 3 of my countermeasure system. I've been doing a lot of reading to try and understand CB radios, but I'm having a little trouble since I really have no knowledge in this area. From what I understand all I need is a CB radio & antenna and just go to a shop that will tune and peak it?

THE RADIO:
    After reading a bit I think I've narrowed it down to the Cobra 29 WXNW-ST or Uniden PC-78 Elite (unless someone has a better suggestion). Basically the same price. Is there any advantage to one over the other?

"Any of these two tuned or peak will do great."

THE ANTENNA:
    The antenna is where I'm getting a bit lost and could use some help. Like everyone else I wanted something that would blend in but not lack performance. Seems like that isn't possible. However if a 3 ft antenna can still give me a fair couple mile reception that is probably good enough for my simple countermeasure use.

I was looking at getting the wilson 5000 short load 39" whip or a 3' Firestik 2. Since I don't really know much about antenna's I have no idea if these would be good. I have seen quite a few references to these brands though.

Also, would dual firestiks on either side of the trunk perform better? I'm more concerned about height than looks and if dual 3' would perform the same as a single 5' that would be great.

"The higher the mightier you will sound, I used a lil wilson mag mount antenna with my Uniden 520xl CB I was getting 3-5 miles.

Then I got a 102' whip antenna with a tri-mag mount and boy did I go far out with that one, but that antenna is very tall and the mag mount is pretty big, so if looks don't matter and it's only for highway use then go for it.

If you want something smaller and portable then get the lil wil, or any of the wilson series that's an easy mag mount that you can transfer from car to car.

The short load whip I did ask around on that particular antenna I got a lot of negative feedback, but don't let people discourage you for what you want to buy try to find someone who owns one, that is the best feedback you can get.

I can't comment on the firestik, because I don't own one."

MOUNTING:
    I would like to mount whatever I get using a trunk lip mount. However I currently live in a bad area where if it's on the outside of my car and can be stolen it will be (eventually). I need something that can be detached and stowed. Since I'll only be using the CB for highway driving it will stay stowed during the week until I make my hefty weekend trips. Any recommendations here?
    We all run a risk of equipment being stolen that just straight up sucks.

It all depends how many trips your taking, I only use my CB for highway trips and my 102' always goes with me, I only use the lil wilson for city use.

I would advice you to get your own SWR meter do your own tuning and have fun.
    Last edited by SoulSeeker; 04-08-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Dual antennas just changes the pattern in which your radio works best. It cuts down on performance to the sides so it works best up and down the road.

The Wilson 1000 and 5000 perform pretty much the same, but the 5000 can handle more power. I have a short load in a hole-mount Wilson 1000 and it works well.

The Wilson trunk lip mount should come with a black plastic cap to screw on when the antenna is removed. You can just unscrew it and stick it in the trunk.

If you get an antenna that works with an NMO mount, they would also allow you to just unscrew the antenna and replace it with a weather cap.

I wouldn't recommend a fiberglass antenna on a car. They're great on big rigs that have solid metal mirrors to mount on, but they can really tear up your sheet metal if they snag up on something. That can be prevented by using a spring, but then they flop around in the wind and look ridiculous.

If you go with the trunk mount, try opening your trunk and holding a stick perpendicular to it at the place where you'd mount your antenna to see if it will hit the roof. Consider that the antenna will bend down a few inches due to gravity. It won't hurt the antenna, but it will eventually scratch up your roof. If there is interference you might be able to get away with mounting on the side of the trunk instead of the edge near the window if it's flat enough.

Newcomer

So let me get this straight. If I have the antenna attached a trunk lip mount attached to the trunk, the trunk is the ground plane? I don't have to run any wire from the antenna to the trunk?

And I attach the antenna to coax cable run to the front of my car which attaches to the radio and then the radio's negative goes to ground? That simple?

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by roni View Post
    So let me get this straight. If I have the antenna attached a trunk lip mount attached to the trunk, the trunk is the ground plane? I don't have to run any wire from the antenna to the trunk?
    Hopefully. It usually works well enough.

And I attach the antenna to coax cable run to the front of my car which attaches to the radio and then the radio's negative goes to ground? That simple?
    Right. The antenna wire goes straight to the radio and for most antennas a separate ground wire is not required.

Newcomer

Alright well that's good, I think I'm starting to understand. One last question (I hope). Both radios have a built in SWR meter, are the built in meters usually good/accurate?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    Dual antennas just changes the pattern in which your radio works best. It cuts down on performance to the sides so it works best up and down the road.
    That's not entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.signalengineering.com/ultimate/mobile_antennas.html
    So then, is there any advantage to co-phasing two mobile antennas? Why yes, there is. Before we noted that the radiation pattern of a single antenna is "pulled" where there is the most metal vehicle body. You can see the pattern is not perfectly omnidirectional like we would expect it be. As we travel down the road, you will notice signal fade ("flutter" or "waver") from this uneven radiation pattern. Co-phasing two antennas will even out the pattern irregularities. Instead of making the pattern more two directional, it will make it more omnidirectional. Do not expect more "gain" from two antennas. Figure 3 shows how co-phased antennas clean up the radiation pattern. Read the section "Co-Phasing" for instructions on how to make a harness to feed your co-phased antennas. It best to get them as far apart as possible. The best way would be to mount one on the front bumper in the center and one on the back bumper in the center also. Most people think this looks silly (me included!) and mount one on each side of the vehicle.

Newcomer

I think I'm going to stay away from 2 antennas simply because I can't get them very far appart on my car.

Professional

Have you considered a (magnetic) Wilson Lil Wil? I'm not an expert, but I think a Wilson 500 with the short load isn't going to be that big of a difference over the Lil Wil. Especially if you're mounting in the trunk. The bigger the proportion of antenna above the cabin roof, the better (which translates to a longer antenna being better)

Supercowpowers (if I remember correctly) would know the difference between the Wilson 500 /w short load and a Lil Wil.

Newcomer

Not getting either of those. Did some reading and learned that top loaded performs better than bass loaded. Found some charts somewhere (can't seem to find them again) where they did some testing on a few antennas and the Everhardt SOTT came out on top so that's what I'm getting. With a trunk lip mount and the Uniden PC-78 Elite. Should be decent.