Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Gadgetman's BMW E60 M5 Laser Interceptor Installation (Completed)

I've installed the Laser Interceptor (Quads) on my 2008 BMW M5. It was difficult to find access through the firewall and I managed to find one through the ECU box just under the passenger A/C cabin filter. This was a pain in the arse and took me close to 4-5 hours. I was gonna do a DIY however, I had to concentrate on my installation and I had to think on the fly... I hope these pictures will give those who have a BMW 5-Series an idea for installation.

This is where I put my on/off switch. Notice the led is up and not down.

This is how the rears look. I tried to find a way to run my LI Slim sensors however, I didnt want to drill through the trunk to run my sensor wires.

This is the front view of my M5. The LI are the regular sizes up fron just under the bumper.

This is the Glove Compartment. Notice in the back the acess panel to the fuse boxes.

Now, I removed the access panel and install the LI CPU and external speakers inside the Glove Compartment.

I ran the wires from the front sensors to the passenger side of the engine bay. I like to make my installs like they were factory options and you dont see any wires.

Well, if your ready to attack your installs, Good Luck and post some pictures.

Best Regards,
    Darren

Power User

Default Re: Gadgetman's BMW E60 M5 Laser Interceptor Installation (Completed)

How you ran the wires through the firewall?

Good Citizen

Ohh, I'm not liking how low the rear sensors are. On the e46, you could run wires through the molex connector to get the wiring to the trunk. Can that be done on the E60?

Old Timer

Looks great, Gadget !

----

My concern is if your rear heads are too low to provide effective protection.....if you can, get them tested, objectively and quantitatively.

But failing being able to test -

Looking at your trunk/rear-deck, I wonder if that's the same physical setup as mine:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/387171-post31.html

Your trunk-lid seems to carry that same panel "divide," at least from first-look, on the outside, via your pix.

Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with the intimate details of your vehicle , and cannot lend better support...but maybe this will allow you to dig further, and see if it would be possible to get your rear heads up, next to the rear plate (vertical mounting).

Speed Demon

looks great.. beautiful car, any performance mods planned for the M? wheels? suspension? you running a RD?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by speed-demon View Post
    How you ran the wires through the firewall?
    I ran the wires in the engine bay on the passenger side compartment. I had to remove the A/C air box cover and open the ECU Cover. Notice on the right side of the ECU box that there is a rubber access. I slit it open to run my wires into the ECU box. Now on the lower left side of the ECU, you'll be able to fish a wire from the engine bay, through the firwall and into the passenger glove box. Sorry, I didnt take any pictures...

Darren

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
    Ohh, I'm not liking how low the rear sensors are. On the e46, you could run wires through the molex connector to get the wiring to the trunk. Can that be done on the E60?

Okay, what I did was removed my battery from the trunk. You'll notice that there is a vent tube on the positive side of the battery. This vent tube runs down to a rubber grommet. I slit the rubber grommet open just enough to run both rear sensor wires. If you want me to, I can take a picture of the bottom side of the grommet and you'll get the idea.

Darren

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    Looks great, Gadget !

----

My concern is if your rear heads are too low to provide effective protection.....if you can, get them tested, objectively and quantitatively.

But failing being able to test -

Looking at your trunk/rear-deck, I wonder if that's the same physical setup as mine:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/387171-post31.html

Your trunk-lid seems to carry that same panel "divide," at least from first-look, on the outside, via your pix.

Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with the intimate details of your vehicle , and cannot lend better support...but maybe this will allow you to dig further, and see if it would be possible to get your rear heads up, next to the rear plate (vertical mounting).
    Allen,

I looked into the license plate mounting and I found no other way to route the wires but to drill into the trunk. I didnt want to do that. I opted for the under the bumper mounting. I'll test with Cliff in the near future when he takes a trip to Northern Florida. It should provide excellent results at greater distances vs short distances.

Darren

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    looks great.. beautiful car, any performance mods planned for the M? wheels? suspension? you running a RD?
    I'm not planning to upgrade with anything other than the RPI air scoops.

I only have the V1 and it's Hard wired into the rear view mirror's power.

Darren

Professional

Awsome car, and a beautiful install. Like the others have said, your rear heads might be too low but hopefully when you test them you'll know for sure. It would be a shame if you had to move them because they look so good where they are.