Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default RX-65, Cobra 25, Wilson 1000 roof mount

I'm finally almost "finished" with my CB setup so I took some pictures.

RX-65 hardwired high.

The mount. I believe everything in the car should be secure, and I've had the piss poor Bel suction cups come off enough times to not trust them.

I took a strip of 1/8" thick aluminum and cut a small piece off. I drilled pilot holes and screwed self tapping screws through. Then I removed the screws and reinserted them with the bracket in place. I cut off the threaded end with a Dremel cutoff wheel to make the windshield side flat.

I cut a piece of 3M dual lock tape in half and applied the pieces to the aluminum, then put two full strips on the windshield. I didn't need that much on the windshield, but I wanted to be able to adjust it for leveling the detector and accessing the buttons.

The end of the detector touches the aluminum, not the windshield, or else it would be looking for UFOs like the Cobras.

Cobra 25 LTD. No night watch. No weather channels. Just bear reports...well...all the other BS on the radio too, unfortunately. The mounting bracket is attached to the lid for the storage compartment with bolts, washers and wing nuts so it's not going anywhere. The power comes straight from the battery, under the dash, and travels a short distance up the front of the dash. The coax for the antenna just comes from behind the seat for now because I just installed it last night and haven't hidden it yet.

I put electrical tape around the chrome on the front so it wouldn't reflect the sun straight up into my eyes.

The Wilson 1000 is a little more than 5 feet tall... It scrapes on all the common 9' drive throughs.

About a week ago I had an unfortunately incident with a bird and the magnet mount version. I tried the magnet mount on the trunk for safety but it just didn't work the same, so I ordered the roof mount hardware, grew a pair and drilled the hole for it.

...close up

The only place in the roof I could find that wasn't obstructed by the sunroof or a cross member was above the dome light. I removed the dome light, drilled a pilot hole from the bottom, and then used an Antenex 3/4" hole saw to finish from the top.

If you're going to drill a hole for an antenna, use an Antenex hole saw or equivalent. Using a regular drill bit will not make a clean hole because the sheet metal is very thin.
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 05-23-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: safety message

Default Re: RX-65, Cobra 25, Wilson 1000 roof mount

You can also use a step drill bit.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK View Post
    You can also use a step drill bit.
    Definitely a distant second choice though. The step bit is brutal and creates a pretty jagged hole, often requiring a lot of clean-up. You also have to push on it so hard that some people end up denting their roof or trunk lid around the hole.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

My step drill bit produces extremely clean holes, and I don't have to push on it with more than 1 pound of pressure. I coat the side of it with a dab of oil and then I let it do its magic. But I also use a high quality drill whose chuck doesn't have any runout.

Professional

Nice setup.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by stano0098 View Post
    Nice setup.
    Thanks. I wish I had a good reason to install a jammer too for the full 'noisy cockpit' effect, but alas, we're still stuck in the 70's.

edit - I meant to say stuck in the 70's for speed enforcement, but they use that OpenSky BS for the radios, or I might try a scanner.

Almost forgot - here's what the 1000 looks like with the weather cap on.

Fairly low-pro. With so many cars with XM antennas now, it doesn't stand out too much.
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 05-23-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: so I don't have to make another post