Default Laser Interceptor +V1+C100+Radar Detector Interface in 2009 BMW M3 convertible

I posted the full details of my DIY in the following thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post585515

This post is just to 'show off' my install.

I decided the vertical grill install was beyond me, and although relatively stealth, whenever I did a test fit, my eyes were always drawn to the shadowy defect (ie the LI heads) in the kidney grills. I thus opted for the lower intake recess and I think its relatively nice.

I'm particularly proud of where I mounted the switch -- its in the ashtray recess, right under the lighter itself. This whole area is covered with a door, but the switch is not even that noticeable when the cover is open.

I wired a discreet parking switch mod using a headphone extension cable and a M/F DB9 gender changer so that when the headphone jack is plugged into the extension cable's female port, it acts as a normally functioning Laser Interceptor. Removing the jack and tucking away the headphone receptacle port turns it onto only a parking aid, unresponsive to Police Lasers. This sits beside my right knee, and easy to move without being seen to bend over to disconnect something.

The LI CPU unit is mounted hidden and an external speaker wired leaves a clean look inside the cabin as well.

To complete my countermeasure menu, I've also mounted a Cheetah C100.

I mounted the C100 just above my left knee area on the lower part of the dash. This is because, since I have a V1, I didn't want more electronics on the window, and I didn't want to cover the BMW mirror (I wasn't sure how nice the Cheetah mirror would be in real life).

To compensate for a possibly blocked GPS signal, I added a GPS antenna extension, hidden in the M3's matching (but fake air intake) hood grill on the passenger side, and routed that cable thru the same firewall access as the Laser Interceptor.

The C100 communicates wirelessly to the hidden Radar Detector Interface which is hooked to my hardwired V1. This allows the V1 to be muted when I'm under the speed limit, and the C100 announces redlight cameras, speedtraps, etc.

I plan to finish with Veiling the headlights since my jammers are pretty low. I don't have any ability to test this setup, but I hope with the black car, matte grills and Laser Veil on the headlights, the LI has the best chance it can.

Comments/suggestions? Anyone know of who can test this for me in Vancouver, BC, Canada or near Seattle, WA?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SteveW25561; 08-04-2009 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added pictures

Power User

Default Re: Laser Interceptor +V1+C100+Radar Detector Interface in 2009 BMW M3 convertible

Great install

Power User

Default Re: Laser Interceptor +V1+C100+Radar Detector Interface in 2009 BMW M3 convertible

Looks very nice. Not quite sure why you didn't put in a kill switch for the jammers instead of a headphone plug... But at the same point, I don't understand the concept. The switch cuts all power, and the plug just disables the jamming capability?

And, it's my duty to ask, with $1,500 in products, you thinking about a $60 CB setup?

Lead Foot

Sweet move on the headphone jack, very 007 ish

Thanks for the comments.

To FoolishOne:
    The Laser Interceptor does have an on/off switch -- that's the lighted switch located under the lighter, hidden when the lighter compartment door is closed. I can 'kill' the jammer by shutting that switch off, but I also have the LI set to shut off jamming after 10 seconds inc ase I get flustered and forget to shut it off.

The headphone jack is simply a closed circuit when the plug is in, and open when it is gone, rendering the jammer only as a parking aid. FYI, the plug is internally shorted out but you can actually plug in real headphones to the socket for the same effect -- that way no explanations as to why you have a random headphone-less headphone plug in the car.

Not sure of your question about a $60 CB? No plans on installing a CB radio if that's what you're asking about.

Old Timer

nice install

Mobile Installer

nice install nice m3!
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Power User

First off, I want to congratulate the OP on a nice, clean install. Excellent work!

I do have a question, though: What's the use case for the headphone plug "key" thingee? Exactly when and how will it be used?

For example, let's say you're speeding down the freeway and your alert goes off. Naturally you'll nail the brakes and slow down to at least a quasi-legal speed, then you'll disable the jammer to avoid raising the LEO's suspicions. Will you disable the jammer by pulling out the headphone plug "key?" How is this better than simply turning off the power switch?

Please help me to understand your strategy here.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    First off, I want to congratulate the OP on a nice, clean install. Excellent work!

I do have a question, though: What's the use case for the headphone plug "key" thingee? Exactly when and how will it be used?

For example, let's say you're speeding down the freeway and your alert goes off. Naturally you'll nail the brakes and slow down to at least a quasi-legal speed, then you'll disable the jammer to avoid raising the LEO's suspicions. Will you disable the jammer by pulling out the headphone plug "key?" How is this better than simply turning off the power switch?

Please help me to understand your strategy here.
    It's fairly simple.

He will power the jammer off using the killswitch.

Then, if LEO pulls him over, while he is being pulled over he removes the headphone "key" -- since it is installed down low, the officer won't see him moving around.

Since the key is removed, his LI is now only a parking sensor -- ready to prove roadside if the officer requests.

Unlikely this would happen or work if it did, but hey, you can never have too much cool custom stuff

Exactly as Cauhauna says.

I figured it wasn't a hard add on to do, and even if I can kill the LI with a switch, the LEO can see the laser heads and demand I turn it back on. With the 'key' out, there's no need to switch it off and its always in park assist mode.

I'm sure all of this is overkill, but it was fun to execute the install.