Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Review: RadarBusters.com Undercover Radar Detector Sun Visor Holder

Undercover Radar Detector Sun Visor Holder

Undercover Radar Detector Sun Visor Holder - Radar Detector Accessories at Radar Busters

I was leery to purchase this at first, due to the lack of a picture from the front, I could not tell if it would still pickup laser or not. Being that it was only $15 and free shipping I went ahead and decided to check it out.

First off, one should note, that the product description states the models it is compatible with, including the 9500i. It was a tight fit, having an audio cable plugged in made it even worse, but it does fit, barely. Also note, that once the 9500i is in the visor holder and on the visor, kiss GPS reception goodbye, deal breaker right there.

I will note that it does have an opening in the back, and would appear that if you tilt your visor enough to get the radar level, you should be able to at least pickup laser from the front still, but I didn't test it. So maybe it wouldn't be too bad of a deal for any of the other radars sans GPS.

On other note, not that it matters or pertains much to the radar aspect of the product, but the secondary pouch is not deep enough to fit most sunglasses with the pouch closed, so if you plan on keeping them there like in the pictures on the product page, plan on them falling out and bouncing around the vehicle in any quick maneuvers.

Just thought I would share the info and expereince for anyone else that may be looking at the product, as I was unable to find much info on it before I purchased it. All in all, its only $15 bucks so not a big deal, but I won't be using it.

Power User

Default Re: Review: RadarBusters.com Undercover Radar Detector Sun Visor Holder

If you live in Htown, you will need a jammer

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    If you live in Htown, you will need a jammer
    Yes, I know this is the highly recommended route for anyone who commutes in Houston often. I was going to go with a ZR4, but have since decided to save up for something a bit better, most likely the M27.

That was also taken into consideration when I saw this, I figured either way, once I had my blinder it wouldn't matter if this could pick up laser or not. But killing my GPS reception is the deal breaker for me really. I commute over 50 miles daily in Houston and it is much less annoying of a commute with Truelock.

Yoda of Radar

Thumbs up Re: Review: RadarBusters.com Undercover Radar Detector Sun Visor Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
    That was also taken into consideration when I saw this, I figured either way, once I had my blinder it wouldn't matter if this could pick up laser or not.
    It doesn't matter right now either. Especially with a 9500. You might as well paint over the laser receivers. It'd do you just as much good. Get your jammer by the end of September and we'll test it for you at our next meet.

That's definitely surprising about the GPS reception though. Well, not surprising from a physics standpoint, but just something I had not considered before.

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing this! Got any pics?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    That was also taken into consideration when I saw this, I figured either way, once I had my blinder it wouldn't matter if this could pick up laser or not.
    It doesn't matter right now either. Especially with a 9500. You might as well paint over the laser receivers. It'd do you just as much good. Get your jammer by the end of September and we'll test it for you at our next meet.

That's definitely surprising about the GPS reception though. Well, not surprising from a physics standpoint, but just something I had not considered before.

Excellent review! Thanks for sharing this! Got any pics?
    I will try to get some pics and post them up. I honestly didn't even think about the GPS reception when I bought it. Wasn't til my drive to work this morning the radar went nuts on xband and I looked up after the alert went away to see a spinning satellite. Left it for about 10 mins, never got signal. Otherwise the undercover visor was a really cool idea though and very STEALTH.

Hopefully will have the M27 ordered and in sometime this coming month. All new tires come first though, and them suckers ain't cheap.

Speed Demon

All new tires come first though, and them suckers ain't cheap.
    Make sure you check onlinetires. That's the cheapest place I've found so far that has a decent selection too.

Speed Demon

I have seen similar products before. There are many RD models not listed. The pocket for the RD does look a bit small. If I tilt my sunvisor down so a RD is level, it is right at my forehead in my vehicle. The product is a good idea but I think like most of these things, it would depend on the vehicle and RD.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 09-13-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Speed Demon

I wonder if the V1 would fit in there? I know it already comes with visor clip, but just wondering...

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by TQUILL View Post
    I wonder if the V1 would fit in there? I know it already comes with visor clip, but just wondering...
    Yes it will fit.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

While absolutes tend to be inappropriate, Visor-mounting of a Radar Detector is generally a bad idea. It'd kinda like the old lady that pulled out the choke[handle] to hang her purse on. Visors are there for a reason[just like the choke handle] and neither is to hang things off of.

Full Disclosure: It's not unusual for me to be driving at dawn or dusk and without functioning visors I'd have to pull over and wait for the sun to change. Additionally, discretion is not a requirement in Oregon, I don't need absolute stealth.