Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Default Finished rewiring V1 & CB, added killswitch and concealed display

edit: I moved the concealed display, see post #8

I just redid the wiring for my V1 and CB. Until now I was just using the same homemade hardwire cord I had for my Bels, which was incompatible with the concealed display. I also had the CB hooked up Mickey Mouse style with wire taps on the cigarette lighter wiring harness, which worked but I believe was causing excessive noise on it.

Sorry, no pictures of the wiring because I don't take pictures when I work.

I added a killswitch, which is wired in line with the hardwire kit. Since I had to bring power over there anyway, I used a fuse tap and ran the power wire directly to the CB, then used a wire tap on that to provide power to the switch. I had to run a ground wire from the CB to a screw under the dash, so I tapped that for the ground for the lighted switch. I also, of course, had to run a switched power wire back to the hardwire kit then.

"I swear officer, that switch is for the seat heater!"

Here's the V1 mounted. I put it to the right of the mirror because, with the CD, I didn't need it to be close to my line of sight anymore and the strain relief on the V1 cords is so big that it's a PITA to insert and remove with the mirror stem in the way.

An observant person might notice I'm using suction cups, even though I went through the effort to make another mount for it. That's because I found some nicer suction cups that are much more solid. Here they are compared to the large cups the V1 comes with.

This is the first place I thought to put the CD, and the last place I wanted to. However, it was very easy to mount, and I don't have to screw around with installing a mute button because I can hit it easily here. I intended it to be removable, but the dual lock adhesive, on this plastic, gives up before the dual lock does, so I'll have to try velcro or something.

Don't mind the TPMS light, that's just our benevolent government letting me know that my good wheels are sitting in the basement. )

Last edited by supercowpowers; 11-11-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Power User

Default Re: Finished rewiring V1 & CB, added killswitch and concealed display

Where you got those suction cups from? are they made for the V1?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    Where you got those suction cups from? are they made for the V1?
    No, they're not made for the V1. I had to hack up a good part of the 'nipple' part to get them to fit in the mount.

I got them at a craft store about a year ago; I think they came in a pack that had small cups, medium ones, then these things. If you can stand the scent of old ladies, the craft store has all different kinds of cups.

Speed Demon

Why do you have the CD at such an odd angle?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    Why do you have the CD at such an odd angle?
    I think because of the superlock velcro.

I would change that velcro out to reg. sticky sided velcro it will give you a lower profile and will be easier to remove.

Professional

Looks good.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post

I would change that velcro out to reg. sticky sided velcro it will give you a lower profile and will be easier to remove.
    That's what I'm hoping. Dual lock has been very reliable for me but that was for things that I put up and leave up for months at a time. The thing only weighs a few ounces, I don't think it needs the strength of dual lock.

Hopefully I can just put a tiny strip on the front of it so it tilts up a little bit; that would be nice.

Power User

I moved the concealed display. It was hard to glance at where it was before and the steering wheel blocked it when I made right turns.

Now it's behind the clear plastic instrument cluster cover. I mounted it with 3M "molding tape", which is a little thick but it's what I had on hand. I had to make a 1/2" hole and used a grommet from a package of assorted grommets I got from Radio Shack.

Obviously the mute button is worthless now, but I got by for three years by muting on the detector so I think I'll survive.

View from the seat. I avoided this position at first because I thought it would block the idiot lights, but I looked in the manual and discovered that there are actually none there.

It's less conspicuous than it was before, but it's also not coming out every time I park or get pulled over. My solutions: 1) Don't get pulled over, 2) Dirty cloth to hide it from ne'er do wells.

Experienced

Wow, that is NICE! Love how the CD fits in the instrument cluster, and visibility for you is near perfect. One of the best CD installs I've seen. .

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Nothegger View Post
    Wow, that is NICE! Love how the CD fits in the instrument cluster, and visibility for you is near perfect. One of the best CD installs I've seen. .
    Thanks, but I still feel pretty inadequate next to the guys who can hack up their actual instrument clusters to fit the CD parts inside and make it truly custom looking.

It just barely fit in there. Every car's gonna be different.