Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default M3 Convertible with LI Quad + 9300ci Finally Home!

An extra day to re-route the rear sensors (hardtop convertible is definitely more difficult than the coupe) and it's finally here. And, much to my pleasure, it was a perfect day in Southern Nevada (mid-60's and sunny) so I put the top down (windows up) on the way home.

The drive was uneventful (especially since the engine isn't broken in yet (185 miles to date)), but I did get some hits (mostly traffic monitoring cams, an X band, one K band, and two Ka Band alerts from the 9500ci). Didn't experience any laser hits yet. The volume on the 9500ci is fine even with the top down (probably not if the windows were down).

And now, as promised, a few photos of the finished product (since I'm not allowed to post html yet, you'll have to settle for attachments). Unfortunately, my detailer arrived after the photo shoot and at a time of day when shadows were too prevalent (so please don't judge me by the dust and smudges since black on black (even Jerez Black) is not very cooperative in staying clean.

All in all, I am very pleased with their work (after correcting the few things that so many of you pointed out). I may even go back to them for an auto-start system that is plug-in-play and starts the car via the panic button on the key remote.

Now it's time for the learning curve. Driving with both systems, volume settings so that I can listen to my music and still not miss the alerts, etc.

Too bad there isn't a Nevada group for testing out JTG on this setup. After I've broken in the engine (1200 miles), they take everything down and release the hounds. Sometime after that, I might just take it to the track (they might even have some different guns available to test it).

Thanks again to everyone for your help. If you'd like to see more pics, let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep you posted...
    Attached Images Attached Images

snoopyc4

Default Re: M3 Convertible with LI Quad + 9300ci Finally Home!

Now the LI install looks good! I'm glad you were able to install the antenna with a clear view. Expect good detection range from the ci. I could care less about the rear zr4 jammer head. I'm starting to suspect it isn't a jammer at all but a sensor

djrams80 is the closest forum member with a laser gun. He is located in SoCal. Good luck withyour setup.

For the ci, run it in highway and spec mode.

Good Citizen

Thanks. I kind of figured that the ZR4 rear shifter wasn't up to par since no one commented on the white M3 having it hidden behind the tail's lower grill. But, since I had it, thought I'd put there for grin sake.

Quick question. I noticed you use Veil G4. With the M3's silhouette and the counter-measures I've installed, how much added protection would it add to my taillights? I've got Venture Shield Clear Bra on the front, including the lamps, so, from what I understand, it wouldn't work well on the headlights.
    Last edited by e93 Vertigo; 01-07-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added Question

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by e93 Vertigo View Post
    Thanks. I kind of figured that the ZR4 rear shifter wasn't up to par since no one commented on the white M3 having it hidden behind the tail's lower grill. But, since I had it, thought I'd put there for grin sake.

Quick question. I noticed you use Veil G4. With the M3's silhouette and the counter-measures I've installed, how much added protection would it add to my taillights? I've got Venture Shield Clear Bra on the front, including the lamps, so, from what I understand, it wouldn't work well on the headlights.
    Veil would work on your headlights. The bottom line is you have the best jammers money can buy. Not only that, but your car is dark colored and there is not much reflective material on the front of your vehicle. I've tested a black M5 with a LI dual on the front and it was JTG all day. Before deciding to buy Veil, I would get your setup tested next time you are in SoCal with dj and see how you do. If you aren't satisfied with the results, then add veil.

Good Citizen

Smile Re: M3 Convertible with LI Quad + 9300ci Finally Home!

Thanks! I'll wait until I've tested it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by e93 Vertigo View Post
    You might as well have left it off for all the good it'll do you behind the grille.

On the plus side, it doesn't matter since you have the LIs.

Power User

Is the LI switch installed in the cig lighter plug?
    If you don't mind me asking, how much you paid for the install?

Good Citizen

Wink Re: M3 Convertible with LI Quad + 9300ci Finally Home!

Quote Originally Posted by speed-dreams View Post
    Is the LI switch installed in the cig lighter plug?
    Yes, the LI switch is installed in the cig lighter. It fit perfectly. In fact, if I were to sell the car without the counter-measures, I've got the original ashtray insert and it just snaps back in.

Not that I intend on selling it for a long time since, rumor has it (and you know how those go), the new 2011 M3 will go back to a 6-banger with a twin turbo. Just like the Carter administration killed the muscle car engines, this administration is already got them thinking about "Cap and Tax" carbon emission penalties. If I wouldn't have bought it, in just a few short months I'd be saying "Wow, I could have had a V8!!!!

Beautiful install! I was actually looking over my install yesterday and I am pretty happy with were the kill switch is but I was thinking about putting the kill switch in the cig lighter. I have a E39 and cig lighter sits away from the ashtray but it pops up and down....would have been kinda nice, atleast the cool factor would have been bada$$!

Sweet ride BTW.

Good Citizen

Talking Re: M3 Convertible with LI Quad + 9300ci Finally Home!

Quote Originally Posted by amyn.akbarali View Post
    Beautiful install!

Sweet ride BTW.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by amyn.akbarali View Post
    I was actually looking over my install yesterday and I am pretty happy with were the kill switch is but I was thinking about putting the kill switch in the cig lighter. I have a E39 and cig lighter sits away from the ashtray but it pops up and down....would have been kinda nice, atleast the cool factor would have been bada$$!
    I know exactly where you're talking about. I owned an E39 for 6 years. It was certified pre-owned and the original lessee was Buzz Aldrin. I still have the reg slip with his name on it. 2nd Man to Walk on the Moon. How cool was that?

Back on subject. The cig lighter in the E39 I owned used to intermittently get stuck (not popup all the way) and I'd have to stick a pen or small object in to release it. I'd be wary of placing the switch in the cig lighter if you've experienced the same issue.
    Last edited by e93 Vertigo; 01-08-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added Info