Today, I decided to make a new mount for my dad's V1 using his V1 visor mount and a Escort Super Cup mount.
First, I had to remove the visor clip off the V1's visor mount. Not too hard; using a screwdriver, I wedged it under the clip and slid it off.
I bonded the super cup mount and the visor using gorilla glue. The V1 visor mount has a couple "bumps" on the top of it. So, to make sure everything was straight, I lined up the ends of the super cup mount with the bumps.
I pressed the two mounts together for a good ten minutes and let it sit for an hour.
Before putting the new mount into the car, I did a weight test by putting the V1 into the mount and holding it in the air for fifteen minutes to see if the mount could support the V1 (a pillow was placed under the V1 in case the mount failed and the V1 fell). Passed the test! So, I installed the new mount:
The mount puts the V1 closer to my dad's face but not to the point where it is blocking his view ahead. So, when I shot my Bushnell for testing, he had no issue seeing that it was K band the V1 was alerting too. Also, since it's so close, he doesn't have to have the volume as high. Obviously, the biggest issue will be how long the mount will hold up over time. Weather in our area can be anywhere from 20-30 F to 110 F.
NOTE: This idea came from my friend, Offshore. Thank you for the innovative idea!