Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default LI & STi-R on 2006 Suzuki Swift Sport

OK,

If i have this right, the first pic is of the front LI sensors and the STI-R receiver. I am still wondering what the difference is between the STI-R and the STI-R and the STI XR-C Plus. I bought the XR-C Plus, but it comes in the STI-R box with a XR-C Plus sticker over the STI-R, and it comes with the STI-R install manual and installation disc. It obviously costs a lot more money for the extra letters!!!!

This is the rear light. I had to heat it in the oven at 120 degrees celsius to soften the glue and prise the outer lense from the light. A little tricky to say the least. If you go hotter than 120, you melt the light. I found this out the hard way and these are my second set of lights!!! I have them pointing out on a 45 degree angle to try to counter the Poliscan speed camera we have here in WA. I feel this is a bigger risk than a rear shot from a hand held.

Rear Light.jpg

This is the light finished. I have tinted the lenses which makes it more difficult to see the heads, but have left the lense clear where the LI head views the road.

I have put the STI LED in the dash and the controls on the steering column. you cant see the controls here with the steering wheel up, but......

STI Controls and Light.jpg

When the steering column is down they can be easily seen and adjusted.

STI Controls.jpg

If i am not out of sequence, this should be the AUX jack in the centre console. It is wired up through 2 relays so that when i pull the male jack out of the socket the LI reverts to parking sensors only and the STI turns off.

Attachment 4629

This should be a pic of the interior of the car with the dash and interior removed. I wanted to do it properly with all the wiring done and secured properly, hidden from view and to look factory if anyone stuck their head under the dash.

Interior.jpg

And here is the dash sitting on my lounge while i work on it.

Dash.jpg

This is the STI display in the vent and the LI switch on the lower right.

STI Display.jpg

Hope you like the install. It took forever to get done with the car being off the road for 4 days!!!!
    Last edited by not so swift; 03-12-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Remaval of identifying features

Professional

Default Re: My 5 Day Install

not so swift -

Please reverse the LI head install, at least in the front. The bubbles (receivers) need to be facing the OTHER way, closer to your headlights. Also, angling your LI heads outwards is a recipe for fail. Heads need to be mounted parallel to the road and pointing straight ahead in order to be effective. The radar receiver looks to be mounted properly. Personally, I would want to have the control module within easy reach, yet still out of sight. Where you have the display module looks great!!!

Other than the things I noted, it looks pretty good!

Radar Fanatic

Would definitely want to test that setup. Heads behind plastic and 45 degree angle, not to sure about that. Don't like where the control box is either. You will have to reach thru the wheel to access it. I do think you thought this through before you did it. That was one hard install, just not sure you have protection.

RadarBusters Associate

It looks like you really know what you are doing when it comes to electronics and installs, however like others have already said, having the LI heads angled will really hurt your chances of a good JTG and re positioning the control panel mounted some where else, I've seen set ups where people have put them in there ash trays, that way it is easy to hide should you need to (just close the ash tray) this could be an option if you don't smoke.

I do want to say that I am extremely impressed with how clean everything looks. Once you get everything tested and set up the way you feel it will work best, you should have no problem with laser anymore.

Good Citizen

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I put some pics up asking where I should install the front sensors and someone said bubbles in. That's why I put the bubbles on the inside, but if they should be on the outside I will turn them upside down.

The front sensors are perfectly level and aligned. The angle that the front grille wraps around makes it look like they are pointing outward but believe me, I spent hours making sure they were perfectly level and pointing straight ahead.

As for the controls, you're correct in saying I need to reach through the wheel but there isn't anything in the car that gas a lid (like an ashtray), it's all open. The only thing I would need is the volume which I would set at traffic lights when stopped or the mute, but I don't get many false alarms cos we don't use K band here b

But I will turn those heads over to have the bubbles on the outside, thanks.

I am looking to get it tested Wednesday next week so will let you know how it goes.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by not so swift View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I put some pics up asking where I should install the front sensors and someone said bubbles in. That's why I put the bubbles on the inside, but if they should be on the outside I will turn them upside down.

The front sensors are perfectly level and aligned. The angle that the front grille wraps around makes it look like they are pointing outward but believe me, I spent hours making sure they were perfectly level and pointing straight ahead.

As for the controls, you're correct in saying I need to reach through the wheel but there isn't anything in the car that gas a lid (like an ashtray), it's all open. The only thing I would need is the volume which I would set at traffic lights when stopped or the mute, but I don't get many false alarms cos we don't use K band here b

But I will turn those heads over to have the bubbles on the outside, thanks.

I am looking to get it tested Wednesday next week so will let you know how it goes.
    That's why we're here for each other, mate!!!

Radar Fanatic

Last edited by DrCoke; 09-20-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Beautiful work! Those flat brackets work out perfectly for that install. Very intelligent use of them.

I am not familiar enough with the Poliscan to speculate on the rear head performance. This idea may well be a good idea for that fight, but 45 degrees seems pretty extreme. The cam would have to be VERY close to you to approximate that angle, and I wouldn't think they operate that close. And the issue of the heads firing through convex tail light lenses seem likely to bugger things up too.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how this works out!

BTW, we need the year, make, and model of your car for this thread, just like every other thread in this section.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

This is indeed a very interesting install, especially the rear.

I'm looking forward to the real world tests.

Regarding the 45 degrees of the rear heads I'm not sure if this is the correct angle. When you look at the laser fan of the poliscan and the measuring section of 20 to 50 metres the LI angle should be lower.

Another concern is, if one head can give you enough protection. For the Poliscan: A laser diode sends out 15800 pulses per second which are scattered by a rotating mirror. This leads to laser fan of approx. 45 degrees with 158 laserbeams. Also some laser beams are overlappping.
    I'm not sure if one pulse from the LI can jam 158 pulses from the Poliscan.

Do some calculations: The Poliscan measures your speed between 20 to 50 metres, but the total measuring distance is 10 metres. This means that the Poliscan needs enough reflected pulses for a distance of 10 metres to get a valid speed. These 10 metres can happen between 20 to 50 metres away from the speed camera.
    Last edited by nano; 10-24-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Good Citizen

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback. I have remounted the front sensors with the bubbles out and spent an hour making sure they were aligned, level and pointing straight ahead.

Dr. Coke: Thats a great idea for the STI controls, i will give it a go. I am really not too worried about being shot from behind by a LEO as i have never seen them shooting the rear. Even on top of bridges i have only ever seen them fire at the front of on coming cars.

Nano & Dr. Coke: Yeah, i know what youre saying about the Poliscan and being so new no one really seems to know much about it and whats the best defence for a rear shot. I thought that something is better than nothing and hopefully this will be sufficient. If not, its back to the drawing board and asking you guys for help!!!!

So, any thoughts on rear protection from the Poliscan???????

My car is a 2006 Suzuki Swift Sport.