Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BMW E92 M3 Concealed V1 Install

I recently helped a friend install his radar-mirror V1 Rear View Mirror System in his E92 M3 - here's a write-up of the install.

More info is available at www.radar-mirror.com

Preparing for install -
    Main V1 unit has been hidden inside the rear headrest, V1 concealed display is integrated into the factory mirror and Valentine's remote audio adapter will be installed to allow full control of the system.

In order to hide the cord coming out of the headrest a 1/4 inch hole will need to be drilled and cord routed as illustrated

Run the cord from the back of the seat all the way to the front of the cabin as shown

Remove the AIRBAG plastic clip

Remove the Torx bolt and then remove the A-pillar cover by pulling gently toward the center of the car. There are two clips securing the A-pillar that will pop loose

Remove the sun visor and sun visor clip as shown

Pull down on the center of the headliner and with both hands reach in to release the map light console. The console is held in place by two metal tabs

The V1 hardwire adapter included with your radar detector will need to be connected to a power source that cycles on/off with the ignition. The green/white wire shown works fine. **Note the metal tab inside V1's blue power tap is a little big for the wire we're using and will not make a solid connection. I removed a 1 mm section off the insulation of the wire and soldered the wire to the power tap.

Ground the hardwire adapter as shown and plug the red wire into the power tap

We will now run a phone cord from the "Main" port of the hardwire adapter across the headliner, down the A-pillar and through the dashboard to meet the cable that was previously installed under the dash

Open the cover on the side of the dashboard

Beginning from the bottom of the dash run a piece of safety wire through the dash as shown

Attach the safety wire to the end of the cable and pull it through the dash. **Note it will be easier to run the wire if the connector is cut off the end of the phone cord. You will need to crimp a new connector on - make sure the orientation of the new connector matches the one that was cut off or the unit will not function. You can see four wires yellow - green - red - black.

The cord that is connected to the "main" side of the hardwire adapter is plugged into the "Power In" port of the audio adapter. The cord connected to the main V1 unit inside the headrest will be plugged into the "Power Out" port

Re-install the rear view mirror and route the cord through the front of the headliner. The cord from the mirror will be plugged into the "Accessory" port on the hardwire adapter.

Reconnect all of the factory wiring to the map light console. All of the required wiring connections are now complete. BEFORE buttoning up the car turn the ignition on, power the radar detector on with the remote audio adapter and make sure the display illuminates inside the mirror and the external speaker on the remote audio adapter is functioning. If you do not see the display or cannot hear the unit power on something is wired incorrectly or the hardwire adapter is not installed properly.

Re-install the cover onto the rain sensor and replace the other items that were removed and this will conclude the install, enjoy. :thumbsup2:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: BMW E92 M3 Concealed V1 Install

That is slick, how did you get the mirror to light up like that?

Radar Fanatic

Never mind I see now.

Quote Originally Posted by spartcus View Post
    That is slick, how did you get the mirror to light up like that?
    Not sure what you were asking. The V1 concealed display is installed inside the mirror. This is different from all the other V1 mirror installs I've seen as there's nothing etched, if you turn the V1 off the display disappears.

Good Citizen

That is an awesome install. Im impressed that you were able to do that yourself.

Thanks, it's less work than it looks like.

Newcomer

Have you noticed any negative effects on the v1's performance?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
    Main V1 unit has been hidden inside the rear headrest
    Can't see pics,
    Middle rear head rest I hope. front and rear radar antenna's unobstructed? That position is not high enough for my taste. I like my V1 left of RVM and touching the headliner. What was the owners reasoning for "stealthing" the unit? Worried about theft? Didn't want LEO to see it?

Radar Fanatic

That is a great install.

Speed Demon

hehe I know where you got that Pretty expensive display, but seems to be worthy if you're looking for the level of stealth.