Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default My V1 Hardwire/Intro Thread

Thought I'd make a proper introduction thread here. I drive a 2005 Acura TL. Satin Silver Metallic, navi, A-Spec, etc. It's a money pit with all the mods I've done to it.

It's a pretty fun car to drive. I figured it was about time to invest in a radar detector. Earlier this year I was pulled over for 44 in a 30...whoops. Let off with a warning and have been scared ****less ever since (I'd most likely suffer execution from my father if I got a speeding ticket). So I ordered a Solo S3 and asked you guys about it after the fact. Well, lets just say I returned it and ordered a V1 instead.

I couldn't deal with the dangling coiled cord from my Valentine One. So I didn't even use it until I hardwired it. Thought about making this a DIY (there are quite a few members on here with 3G TLs, my username is cjTL on Acurazine) but I quickly realized my iPhone does indeed take nice pics, but not when you're in an awkward upside down position under your steering wheel. So here are just a few pics.

I decided to wire it into the fuse box rather than tapping into the sunroof controls like many people do for reasons that I'll get to in just a second. Airbag cover removal...rather uhh suspenseful to say the least. Airbags are scary.

Wire spliced and fitted into fuse slot 24. Slot 24 is the fuse for the rear passenger window. This is an awesome fuse because A) its switched, obviously. B) power to it can be turned on and off via the window lock switch.

Still playing with location a bit. Might put it a little higher, but even now its not obstructing my view.

Vid of the install in action. Yes I was at Lake Michigan...

And that's all. I haven't even had the chance to drive my car enough for the V1 to go off, but that'll change when I drive 300 miles on Thursday to go back home to Indy. My mom lives in Michigan and I drive up here about once a month or more, so a radar detector is almost a must.

snoopyc4

Default Re: My V1 Hardwire/Intro Thread

Besides the V1 placement, everything looks good. I would place the V1 behind the tint strip, to the left of the "dots". Also, from the pic, the V1 looks like it is pointing slightly downward.

Radar Fanatic

love that kill switch. thats awesome.

agreed with snoopy.

love the car too. i want a 07 tl type S so bad T_T. TLs are beautiful cars

Radar Fanatic

Nice install! Make sure you don't accidentally shut it off by pushing the switch while driving!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyc4 View Post
    Besides the V1 placement, everything looks good. I would place the V1 behind the tint strip, to the left of the "dots".
    ^ Agree, also looks like the V1 might be in your "field of view" causing a minor distraction for ya.

I like the kill switch also.

Newcomer

Besides the V1 placement, everything looks good. I would place the V1 behind the tint strip, to the left of the "dots". Also, from the pic, the V1 looks like it is pointing slightly downward.
    Thank you. It's just the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
    love that kill switch. thats awesome.

agreed with snoopy.

love the car too. i want a 07 tl type S so bad T_T. TLs are beautiful cars
    Thanks! The TL is an awesome car as is, can only imagine what a TL-S is like. These cars are the best of all worlds, really. Honda reliability, practicality of a sedan, 270 horses, Acura's famed interior, ELS surround sound, navi, decent mod market, etc. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeth View Post
    Nice install! Make sure you don't accidentally shut it off by pushing the switch while driving!
    I'll try not to. That'd be embarassing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Akosikojak View Post
    Besides the V1 placement, everything looks good. I would place the V1 behind the tint strip, to the left of the "dots".
    I've read that placing it behind the tint strip makes it less effective for laser, no? I'd like that better though so it's not as visibile from the outside. (for theft purposes)

^ Agree, also looks like the V1 might be in your "field of view" causing a minor distraction for ya.

I like the kill switch also.
    I drove around with it today and it doesn't bug me a bit, thankfully. I just wish there was a way to tone down the intital startup beeps when I turn the car on. Kinda annoying...
    Last edited by cjh; 12-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Professional

Nice job with the hardwire. I like the idea of the window lock switch. I do agree with Snoopy that the V1 should be up behind the tint strip to the left of the black dots. That way it is out of sight from any thieves or cops. That's where I have mine installed.

Speed Demon

Looks great! Looks like everyone already said what I said on AZine about placement.
    That is a sweet kill switch tho. But what if you actually need to use that switch, and want the radar on too? lol
    Great idea tho with the switch.

Newcomer

i have 07 TL-S i have mine mounted exactly like that.. what is nice is that tint strip protects from sun and also barely noticeable to thieves too.

Newcomer

FWIW, I moved it up a bit higher. The suction cups actually stuck to the black dots. Mounted it in a way that the V1 still has a clear, unobstructed view of the road but is invisible from the outside. So I can just leave it in there all the time. After having the unit for a few months, I have to say I do indeed like it. However, I find it too sensitive for my uses. Driving through town with it on is a nightmare. Does great on the highway though.