Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Laser-Sheild testing: (Good results)

I did some VERY UNSCIENTIFIC testing with a LS to how well they 'disperse' a laser...

I don't own a lidar gun, so I needed to find another way to check how much the LS dispersed a laser-beam.
    All I did was the following:

I took a shiny CD case, and propped it so it would be completely perpendicular to the ground. I then made sure the room was dark. I took a regular 'laser-pointer' and at ~18inches away from the case I shined the pointers beam onto the CD case (at about a 45Degree angle) so the reflection would bounce back to the wall so I could take a picture on how 'concentrated' the beam was.

(In this instance the CD case replaces a License Plate, the laser pointer represents the Lidar gun, and the 'reflection of the beam' onto the wall would represent the lidar signature back to the lidar gun.)

Before LS was put in front of the CD case this is what 'reflected-back' to the wall: Representing the return signature to the lidar gun:

After LS was placed 'on' the CD-case... just how it would be over a LP, and this would represent the (much reduced) 'return signature' to the lidar gun:

Yes this is very unscientific... I know an LEO's gun is ~904nm, not mid-600's (Laser-pointer), has a different 'beam pattern', wouldn't (most likely) be at the angle in my set-up... etc etc I said this was unscientific, but its the best I could do without a Lidar unit, and it allows us to SEE the dispersion of a concentrated beam.

In conclusion: Yes its unscientific and there are lots of 'holes' in this 'testing', take it or leave it folks, just trying to think of new ideas to test the LS (with results we can see with the naked eye). These results are promising IMO to proving the effectiveness of the LS.
    Last edited by AirMoore; 08-23-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Power User

Default Re: Laser-Sheild testing: (Good results)

Unscientific but very interesting find AirMoore.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Laser-Shield testing: (Good results)

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits View Post
    Unscientific but very interesting find AirMoore.
    Thanks, always nice to see fellow forum members interested in the testing that their counterparts do, (though unscientific the testing may have been).

I really think it does show 'promise' or that the 'theory' behind the Laser-Shield could/should work... though as I stated numerous times, this was EXTREMELY unscientific, but it does peak my interest into finding more/better ways to test the LS.

Because to date I have seen very little other then flash-photography pictures with it on plates, and with it not over an LP.

Old Timer

Good stuff. Very interesting, indeed!

Wondering if someone can do something of the sort, with IR-videography, and one of the LIDARs that has a more "pinpoint" pattern.

Street Lawyer

Well the only problem is the laser pointer is in the 650nm range vs 904-905nm infrared .

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    IYes this is very unscientific... I know an LEO's gun is ~904nm, not mid-600's (Laser-pointer), has a different 'beam pattern', wouldn't (most likely) be at the angle in my set-up... etc etc I said this was unscientific, but its the best I could do without a Lidar unit, and it allows us to SEE the dispersion of a concentrated beam.
    ^ He's aware.

And he's also aware that there are other factors that aren't the same, either.

Founder of Stealthvation

good stuff man!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Advanced Member

I've also done this test several times in the past with a camera flash and a green laser pen. Same results as Airmoore, less intense reflections!! But the laser shield by itself wont be enough to help you against the equipment out there now. As others have said before, it should be used to complement a laser jammer.
    Puma Power!!!
    Don't be a lemming!! Follow your own destiny!!!

Ducati Team 2013 FORZA DUCATI!!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    ^ He's aware.

And he's also aware that there are other factors that aren't the same, either.

Yeah, I clearly understand my testing has major flaws/downfalls, but A) I had to work with what I have, B)I think it certainly shows that at the least the premise behind the LS, and the theory behind how it 'should' work with lidar guns is sound. Again though I do understand its not a conclusive test by any means.

Just trying to put more info/pics/ideas out there... and let people decide what they may.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$ View Post
    good stuff man!

Thanks! Again, its great to see people being interested in this 'off-hand' unscientific testing... nice to see feedback on something it took a bit of time (albeit not that much) to do.

So I know you and Bob have done some much more extensive and scientific research specifically regaurding LS and 3M duct-tape (and of course I am assuming Veil as well). Any ETA on when can we may expect those results? I am assuming from what Bob has stated thus far, the testing showed the LS to be a 'sound' product.