Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Radio Help: The Next Step

OK guys, have the V1, getting the LI Quad, now its time for radios.

keep in mind when reading my post/giving me advice, i am entirely new to this, so if i'm very wrong, let me know in any way you deem fit

I recently saw the BCT15/X, which sparked my interest. i think the beartracker feature may be very helpful, and i also like the fact that i can monitor multiple cb channels (i'd do 19 and 9) at the same time. now some questions i have about it, how effective would it be in south carolina? here is what i found for SC radios: South Carolina Law Enforcement Agencies (SC - The RadioReference Wiki)

would that help me at all? i know the bct15 does NOT support digital.
    also, since the beartracker theoretically only works within 3 miles, does that mean the CB would only work within that range?

either way, would adding an antenna help? i have a few pictures with the layout and measurements of my car on them, mainly because i want to be cautious about the antenna placement. i'd like subtle, and something that doesnt harm the paint, so i'm thinking a lip mount or a tow hook mount.

SO the main point of my post, should i do CB or bct15? now that CC is shut down, my stream on income is bleh at best, so i'm looking for something cost effective that will give me the best performance without compromising the looks of the interior/exterior of the car.

thanks for any help you can give me!

Professional

Default Re: Radio Help: The Next Step

cb all the way

Radar Fanatic

Definitely the CB. Scanner would not be as helpful, plus a CB setup is a lot cheaper.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Definitely the CB. Scanner would not be as helpful, plus a CB setup is a lot cheaper.
    X2

CB's are also a lot easier to use. Scanners take some time to get use to them and to understand if the info being transmitted on the scanner could help you avoid a ticket. On CB's the truckers clearly report bear traps.

My opinion is to go with a CB.

Lead Foot

i know if i got a CB, i would get the one mounted in the trunk for aesthetics reasons, but what could i get away with for antennas? here are the pictures of the rear of my car

I have seen people mount the fiberglass antennas in the tow hook, seems like a decent solution for a 3-4ft antenna

i'd really like to get the least noticeable antenna i can get away with for either the lip or tow hook mount, i guess

EDIT: and ive seen some BCT15s going for <$160 after bing cashback, so would that make it any more cost effective because it has the capability of receiving CB?

Power User

Definitely go with a CB. I do recommend scanners, but many people do not.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
    ...ive seen some BCT15s going for <$160 after bing cashback, so would that make it any more cost effective because it has the capability of receiving CB?
    No. It won't receive very far, and bear reports are a two-way process. Without the ability to talk, the radios usefulness as a countermeasure drops to nearly nil.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chris98891 View Post
    ...ive seen some BCT15s going for <$160 after bing cashback, so would that make it any more cost effective because it has the capability of receiving CB?
    No. It won't receive very far, and bear reports are a two-way process. Without the ability to talk, the radios usefulness as a countermeasure drops to nearly nil.
    sounds good, CB it is.

does anybody have recommendations on subtle antennas/antenna location combinations?

Power User

My Lil' Wil on my car. That coupled with a Uniden 510 or 520 will give you a setup that will serve you well.

CB antennas have to have a "Ground Plane" which directs the energy away from your vehicle. The locations you have in mind would probably work but you'd have trouble setting the SWR because the antenna would be so close to the metal on the rear of your car and the energy from transmitting would be directed right back at the antenna. I also imagine that you'd transmit OK to the rear but wouldn't have squat as far as talking to other CBers out front which is where you REALLY NEED to get your intel from!

A trunk or roof mount would be your best bet. Look at some NMO lip mounts and something like a Maxrad/ Laird 2700. They don't look quite as "CBish", But after you learn how valuable CBs are on the highway it probably won't matter as much.

I've been told the same stuff before but had to try it out on my own to prove it I've done distance tests both coming and going with antennas on the roof, trunk and bumper and you can't beat the trunk lid for a good compromise between stealth and operation. Roof mounts are best, but... I can't do it

We have guys on here with BMWs, MBs, Volvos, Audis, Vettes and Caddys, along with a plethora of really sharp rides

Don't sweat it! I had 3 saves this afternoon. 2 fellows rolled right into some I/O traps and got blue light specials right in front of me on I-20

Good luck, but running a CB is going to require a nerdy looking antenna on your ride to be effective.

Radar Fanatic

Start with CB progress to scanner.

If I were you I'd decide what I was willing to spend, how often I'd use the radio and where I'd install it, then make the decision of which radio to get so that it'll fit properly in the car and be durable enough for your level of use. Then I'd get an Antenex C27 or Maxrad 2700, and a NMO trunk lip mount. Paint the whip black with a spray can and nobody will be the wiser, and when it's not in use you can take it down to a fully removeable process in minutes or leave it in a 1-3in tall quick removal in a matter of seconds, depend upon how important looks are at that moment.

I use my CB daily and log about 1-2k mi in an average week, so I'll start with photos of my install. You'll also want to search for bradthemad's install and mrcllusb's install

Left to right, CB, HAM, scanner, painted black a thin steel whip is hardly visible from right in front of the car.

NMO hitch/lip mount on my MINI Cooper, and the Antenex base, for garages the narrow silver piece unscrews in seconds, I can remove the whole setup for car shows or transfer to another car, no holes needed.

Because of the heavy use, I got a full size CB, it's got a noise cancelling mic, and an external speaker to help with the volume. You can certainly go smaller, but I've got the same base electrical system and less space than you so the options for the 3 series are pretty extensive. http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ntenna-cb.html

Remember when it comes to CB, esp in the countermeasure sense, 75% of what you need is good antenna reception.

After you settle into CB, start doing research and get looking into scanners, it's more $$ per save and a much steeper learning curve, but it's also a hobby in it's own right.