Thread: brake pads.

Lead Foot

Default brake pads.

so i checked my brake pads, and its down to 4mm, so how low do you guys get before you start to change it?

Speed Demon

Default Re: brake pads.

whenever im bored? they have life time warranty
    Last edited by mfcool45; 05-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Lead Foot

When my light comes on to lemme know i need to lol. Or when i see a difference in braking distance...which has yet to happen even when theyre low.

Lead Foot

you guys r not helping. i have front and rear brakes so if one was to fail, i still have backup. front is at 10mm, rear is at 4mm now, i have brake pad indicator, and it starting to making a loud sound. it doesnt happen all the time, but it is very annoying, i still have a fair amount of brake pad left, but the sound becoming too much. what to do.....

Banned

10mm is plenty, the 4mm is serviceable for use (as far as "its not needed RIGHT NOW!") but if it were me I'd change out the 4mm pads and check the rotors.

Lead Foot

i guess im going to tried to run it for a few more thousand miles before i change it, money is kinda tight right now. every little bit helps. as for the rotors, it seems to be fine, no scratches or any marks, smooth and clean. thanks

Radar Fanatic

When they start squeeking

Lead Foot

in replace at 4mm. when wear indicator is rubbing that means time to replace. you can remove the indicator on the inside pad so they last a little longer (not recommended) but keep an eye on them so you don't run out of pad and eat up the rotor and damge it to the point wear it cannot be fixed... and any time you change your pads don't forget to resurface you rotors and do a proper break in to have optimal braking performance with you new breaks

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by AsRacer View Post

Well I wouldn't say you have backup. Trust me I've lost the front brakes at 90 MPH and there was no "backup." Yes I know that the front and rear systems are independent, and I know there's a shuttle valve that is supposed to keep one system active should they fail....
    AFAIRemember:
    I've lost brakes 2 times before, BOTH times I lost 100% pneumatic braking and was left with mechanical and downshifting ... want to talk about NOT being fun... EEEEKKKKK.

OP:
    Do yourself a favor... change the pads, 4mm is Ok... but you don't realize how nice braking is until you lose it.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by mahjong007 View Post
    so i checked my brake pads, and its down to 4mm, so how low do you guys get before you start to change it?
    Depends on what the thickness of new pads is. On my car, it is 10mm. So if it gets down to 4mm, I am ready to order new pads and replace. The wear sensor kicks in around 2mm. Hope that helps.