Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Is trapster working

I installed trapster on my 205 and I drove about 150 miles today and didn't get anything. Part of the trip was through a stretch of 75 that is notorious for troopers.

What's supposed to show up on the display when it hits a POI?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Is trapster working

good question..i uploaded trapster on my nuvi 205w and i dont even know if it the trapster even works..i think trapster is confusing!!unless im just throwing it out of total proportion..

Power User

I can check the Garmin directory on the unit and it says that the POI file is on the device but I can't tell if it's active. I can't find anything on the unit that turns POI on/off.

Loading it was easy but I don't think it's working...

Experienced

You do have to enable proximity alerts when loading the POI files. I think POILoader will do this automatically and sets them all to 1/4 mile (1320ft) if you use "Express" mode, but I go the manual way and set my own distances for the individual red-light camera/speed camera/police hiding spot files accordingly.

I haven't done this on a Nuvi yet, but my StreetPilot will chime when it approaches a marked location, and display a red banner at the top with the POI's description ("Red Light Camera," "Speed Camera," etc.). The default icon is just a little dot, but that can be customized for each CSV file you load.

Check the manual to see where custom POI settings are. On mine, you hit "FIND", "Extras", then "Custom POIs" and it lists each file you have loaded. Have you actually driven past any known marked locations to test it out?

Yoda of Radar

^^^^^

x2, All very good points.

Also there is a feature that says 'alert only above ## speed', so unless you are going that speed, it will not alert at all to the traps.

What you can do to test it: Make a trap just down the road from your house, then load it to your unit (GPS). So that you can drive by it once you leave your house (a mile down the road)... and viola you can tell if its working right. Then delete the trap once you get home... I suggest you make the trap in a 'social group' you make for yourself and others so no one else can see it... but even if you don't make it there its highly unlikely that for the ~5minutes the trap is up on the general page, someone will load your area... again, it would be preferred you use a social group with posting limited to members of it.

Also be sure to DELETE old Files off your GPS before uploading new ones, or have it replace the existing files... otherwise that can get confusing.

Professional

how do you get waypoints on your 205 w? I have the POI loader, but it doesnt work.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by mikered30 View Post
    how do you get waypoints on your 205 w? I have the POI loader, but it doesnt work.
    Way-points and POI's are two different things.

What do you mean it 'doesn't work'? What doesn't work about the POI loader?

Power User

I looked at the POI's listed on the unit and the closest was about 30 miles away. I almost shot over there to test it

Starting tomorrow I've got to travel about 600 miles so I'll check it out.

Probably send the V1 in for a tune tomorrow. The sooner I send her in the sooner I get her back...

Power User

It works. The unit goes "ding ding" and it displayed "Police hide in this area"

It was in a known speedtrap area!

Experienced

As far as trapster goes, dont upload ALL of the marked speedtrap locations, like I did. I got alerts every .25 miles, and couldn't even read the navigation directions that needed to look at. Upload the ones that have multiple hits only, this is going to save you some major headaches in the future.