Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Using Nuvi on Jet at 35,000 feet

I packed my Nuvi in my laptop bag, and out of boredom on a night time flight from DC to California (I had a window seat), I turned on my Nuvi 350 and held it against the window with antenna opened.

To my surprise it locked on, and started giving me location, speed, altitude. It even had a 'mode' where it somehow knew I was in a plane as it did not allow 'directions' to be queried. Kind of fun to watch the altitude during descent.

My 'max speed' locked in at around 530 MPH - I showed it to my son a week later, "look how fast I was driving the other day"......

Power User

Default Re: Using Nuvi on Jet at 35,000 feet

I do that too. 677 is the highest I've seen. Sometimes I have trouble with the satellites when just south of greenland.

Radar Fanatic

haha.. thats awesome. I wouldnt want to lose my car's max speed though, I don't know what to do.

Yoda of Radar

First time flying to Dubai, I sat next to a guy with a handheld GPS and it was cool. I mean, you have the same thing in your entertainment screen on that plane, but it's cooler having it in your hand, lol. The stewardesses kept giving the guy the stink-eye, because they thought it was a cellphone.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    First time flying to Dubai, I sat next to a guy with a handheld GPS and it was cool. I mean, you have the same thing in your entertainment screen on that plane, but it's cooler having it in your hand, lol. The stewardesses kept giving the guy the stink-eye, because they thought it was a cellphone.
    I want to visit Dubai soo bad. How was it? I wouldn't mind losing my vehicles top speed. It always give you a reason to go fast again.

Professional

Old Timer

Maybe they figure that if you're going 530 mph, you probably shouldn't be inputting directions, assuming you were driving.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by texasspeed View Post
    I want to visit Dubai soo bad. How was it?
    Very cool. First class hotels at reasonable rates. Great beaches. Awesome shopping. Indoor ski slopes. If you're into whores, they have the best. A veritable smorgasbord of all types and nationalities, including the much loved Russian girls. An American without exotic tastes can eat familiar food too, because all the American restaurants are there. Just don't stay in Sharjah if you drink. It's the only dry Emirate.

It's funny though, because you'll have very little interaction with actual Emirate citizens while you're there, because over three-quarter of the population are foreign nationals just there to work. The Emirate citizens own everything, but Indian and Asian workers run everything for them. Even the airlines. But that makes flying Emirates Airlines awesome, because they hire only young, stunningly beautiful women -- from all over the world -- as stews. I fell in lust every time I flew with them.

If you're used to West Texas, then you'll be able to handle the summer heat there with no problem. It'd kill a New Yorker though. Walking out of the airport into the parking lot is like stepping into a pre-heated oven. And everything there is sand coloured, so if you don't have sunglasses you'll quickly go blind.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    If you're into whores, they have the best...
    lol

i used to work in the airline biz and it was pretty cool when my friend showed me his navigation. a flight attendant freaked one time and had a panic attack thinking it was some type of bomb on time

Radar Fanatic

I did that with my Garmin 176C from Detroit to Phoenix.
    Pretty cool. I called up my brothers home (way point) and it gave me the arrow pointing the way.