Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless Bridge

Lead Foot

Default Re: Wireless Bridge

I haven't come across any wireless bridge that doesn't suffer some issues eventually, usually involved falling off the network. They are also a PITA to setup sometimes.

Personally I would suggest against this solution for something like a slingbox which will use lots of bandwidth. If you do go with the wireless bridge option, I would suggest using both a N router and a N bridge. And also make sure all your other wireless devices are also N or that you have a simultaneous dual band router, or the N won't do any good because if a G device connects it will slow all the wireless down to G speeds.

I sure hope your not using a SlingHD either, or you will likely be unhappy with the results either way.

Just my $0.02

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
    I haven't come across any wireless bridge that doesn't suffer some issues eventually, usually involved falling off the network. They are also a PITA to setup sometimes.

Personally I would suggest against this solution for something like a slingbox which will use lots of bandwidth. If you do go with the wireless bridge option, I would suggest using both a N router and a N bridge. And also make sure all your other wireless devices are also N or that you have a simultaneous dual band router, or the N won't do any good because if a G device connects it will slow all the wireless down to G speeds.

I sure hope your not using a SlingHD either, or you will likely be unhappy with the results either way.

Just my $0.02

Ditto

Power User

If you can, flash that sucker with DD-WRT.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    That too!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Excellent choice!

Wireless Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

Yoda of Radar

Just to finish this up, I installed a Cisco Wireless Bridge. It cost like $85 at Fry's and works like a champ. I tried to setup my router as an access point and that was a miserable failure. I tried the using the wired bridge through the wall sockets and that was also a miserable failure.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, I go with Linksys products for such applications WHENEVER I CAN.

Some people don't like them... but I have always had good luck with them, if not those, I would go NetGear (just opinion though).

DJ words of wisdom with that... make sure it has AIRFLOW, some people have noted with those style Linksys products they have had some over-heating troubles which can lead them to be hit-or-miss with their operation. They do run a bit hot... (touch it if you don't believe me).

Keep some good airflow... and you should be all good!

Old Timer

I have two Linksys, one as the Inanetz giver (hooked up to the cable modem), and the other hooked up to the 360 in the living room (this one has DDWRT Micro, IIRC). Works fine