Lead Foot

Default Broken glass Iphone

So nothing to do with radar detectors but I trust you guys - just dropped my ipohone and shattered the galss. All intact and works but looks like a broken windshield. What do I do? Online looks like Apple charges an arm and a leg, I see "repair" shops that say $49. Help!

Lead Foot

Default Re: Broken glass Iphone

http://tinyurl.com/6hgw4kv

but really, the model of the phone would be helpful
    Last edited by chris98891; 06-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Good Citizen

Apple will swap it out for $199. Next time get SquareTrade warranty. It's cheap and they will reimburse you the $199 minus the deductible. Depending how long you have had it. Another option may be the "purchase protection program" of some credit cards. Some will cover accidental damage within 90 days. It was fairly easy to swap out the screen on older iPhones. I think the iPhone 4 is a lot more involved. I think iFixit rates it 'extremely difficult'. I think I would just suck it up and do a swap with Apple.

Lead Foot

So I went to the local apple store and prepared to beg. I had to wait an hour to see a technician but when I saw him I basically asked for mercy and said I had never asked for any freebies from Apple before. Luck would have it that the phone was bought for me for my b-day LITERALLY one year ago TODAY. So while the broken glass was not technically covered by warranty he said i'm going to make this your lucky day and cover this (otherwise $199).

Now this is an older 3GS so they probably had some left over -so he starts to switch the phone out for a new one (im thinking before that they will just replace the glass) so Im like wait - I have a ton of pictures on there I have to download at home or else they are gone. So i took it home and did that tonight and he said I could come back in the morning and they would replace the whole phone. Hopefully they still do the deal in the morning!

Im telling this guy tomorrow Im going to write his boss a letter, and I want a bunch of his cards as I will send him a ton of business. Thats the right thing to do. He deserves extra business as I know he did me a huge favor.
    Last edited by Super Dave; 06-10-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Radar Fanatic

There are a few websites it's basically like $110 at best. My friend owns a company that fixes these and he charges $140, all in all it's expensive.

Experienced

I did my own 3G glass and fresh rear plastic before I sold it. Glass was easy but the plastic was a lot more involved. Good on you for getting it done for free!