Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Re: Out-braking a LEO

Quote Originally Posted by NooB1FieD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromping_Maniac
    Just curious if anyone on the board has experienced receiving a laser alert and slamming the brakes to aviod a ticket. I recently encountered a laser trap in the city where I was over the speed limit with no cars in front of me (dumb, I know) and was hit with Laser the V1 lit up and I slammed my brakes. The Leo gave me a dirty look holding his Ultralite as I passed by but I didn't receive a ticket.

So is it possible to out-brake a laser hit considering my car has a black bra and veil on the headlights and other front chrome, or did I just get very lucky with my V1?

What about Instant-On? I am well aware that the bra and veil do nothing for that, but I am curious about how fast a radar unit can report my speed before I slow down (I know it's very quick, but do I have a hope in hell to out-brake Instant on?).
    No, its not. Trust me... I own a 78 in a 60 ticket. I was going 80. lasered @880 ft
    I read your other thread about your ticket. Your V1 was behind the window tint of the windshield, right? Also, you were hit at pretty close range, not much outside of a jammer will help at those close ranges.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Depends on the individual vehicle. But for example on my cars, about the furthest out we've obtained a reading with any gun is about 600 feet. So if I was first targeted any further out than that, I would probably have a good shot of slowing down before a speed reading is obtained.

Also, a couple of guns take a bit longer than the others to acquire a target speed at any distance, namely the Stalker LZ-1 and the Laser Atlanta in Stealth mode. With these guns, you might have a fighting chance at any distance.

For example, check out the "Braking test" with only V1 and VEIL:
    http://www.guysoflidar.com/radar-det...h-coating.html

With instant-on radar, you're basically toast unless you happen to get very lucky, radar guns (at least those used nowdays) acquire a speed very quickly.

Jim
    Aha!! I figured the TA would be stealthy against laser! If you had not painted that screaming bird a lighter color, you might even do better!

You need to run your WS6 against Ka band radar. You will be surprised. With mine I figured I had about 1000 ft. to slow down. I did encounter instant on Ka with it when I was 15 over and never even got a second glance from the LEO. Plenty of time to slow down. The cop was clocking me before I was within range. Had this been a widely known fact, maybe F-body sales would have been stronger and they would still be making them .

The newer radars do acquire speed faster. The Stalker Dual I know is very fast. Quite a difference between it and the older ATR. K55 is slow about .5 seconds stationary and 2 seconds in moving mode.

GTO_04

Newcomer

What about Kustom's Eagle II Series Radar, how fast does that aquire a speed using Instant On mode?

Advanced Member

What about Kustom's Eagle II Series Radar, how fast does that aquire a speed using Instant On mode?
    1/2 second.

Newcomer

1/2 second.
    Sorry to be bothersome, but does this in vehicle system have an variance in time to acquire speed when they are operating in stationary and moving mode?

Advanced Member

1/2 second.
    Sorry to be bothersome, but does this in vehicle system have an variance in time to acquire speed when they are operating in stationary and moving mode?
    Some do... But for Kustom units it is about the same whether in stationary or moving mode.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Techhead
    If your shot from far away you may have a few precious seconds to brake before target lock. A Veil-Laser Shield Combo may give you some latitude. Picking up scatter from other cars of course will buy you time.

Up close and your the target when speeding...get out your check book! Same for instant on radar.
    x2

There has been a few people post there similar experience with laser and radar, just got very lucky I suppose. Basicly you do not want to count on your braking skills to avoid a ticket, you should be positioning yourself behind a rabbit, if can be stay out of the left lane, and if worst case senerio does happen, hope no one is following close behind you. Just keep your eyes peeled and aware of your surroundings.

DAM THAT PROLASERIII

I thought I love that thing becuase it is the easiest to detect, now I understand why it is so easy to detect... it is the hardest to jam, possibly due to higher power?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    you should be positioning yourself behind a rabbit
    If you run around tailgating people all day long why do you need a RD?

Wabbit my eye.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Radar_Dick
    Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    you should be positioning yourself behind a rabbit
    If you run around tailgating people all day long why do you need a RD?

Wabbit my eye.
    Well I would not advocate tail gating people, that is wrong. But if you like to be the leader of the pack then be my guest, I love people that get targeted by InstantOn, they give me the heads up. Sure I will take the lead myself but if I have a choice I will play follow the leader.

Radar Fanatic

Yeah, you don't want to be right behind the rabbit. Usually a half mile or so behind one. I would not necessarily want to be in a pack of cars either. What if you're the last car in the pack? The cop may want to target the last car as it is the easiest to get. Just my theory.

True you don't want to rely on braking skills to avoid a ticket. Too little margin for error or lapse in reaction time.

GTO_04