Thread: V1 Questions

Newcomer

Default V1 Questions

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and had a couple of questions on what you guys thought. I just got a new car (2003 Acura 3.2 TL), and I need to get a new radar detector for it. Previously I've had a RadioShack $100 dollar detector that worked great for me, but now its dead. I know I want to get a V1, but had a couple of questions.

1. Ideally, I would like to keep my V1 up all the time and not have to worry about it being stolen. I live in North Carolina, and haven't heard about many V1's being stolen. What do you guys think?

2. I have an Acura TL. There is not enough room to hang the V1 above the Rear View Mirror.

Here is an Example of the TL Rearview mirror

Would it be alright if I hung it to the top of the winshield, just right of the rearview mirror, even though it would be in the tint strip in the windshield?

3. What do you guys think about the concealed display?

4. I'm also going to get a 35% non-metallic tint on the four side windows and the rear window. Would this drastically hinder the performance of the V1, and if so, should i get a lower percentage?

Thanks,

livinitup0312
    2003 Acura 3.2 TL

Speed Demon

welcome to the forum. as far as putting your v1 behind the tint strip on the windshield, that will not hinder the radar performance at all as long as it is stock and non metallic..thats where mine is.

even though you may have your v1 stealth installed, if people see and want it, they will take it..they might not even see or want it, but if you have something else in your car that they want, they will break in and take what they want and prob. your v1 so they can sell it. i would not recommend leaving it in there overnight or extended periods.

as far as getting tint, if you get ANY metallic tint, it will dramatically reduce radar performance. if you get a metallic tint, id recommend getting a remote detector instead because your performance will be cut so far with the metallic tint. if you wanna get tint, get non metallic and you will be fine.

here are some pictures of mine

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=144389429&size=l
    http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=144389432&size=l
    http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=144389436&size=l

let us know what you decide and post pictures please. good luck.

Professional

Default Re: V1 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by livinitup0312
    1. Ideally, I would like to keep my V1 up all the time and not have to worry about it being stolen. I live in North Carolina, and haven't heard about many V1's being stolen. What do you guys think?
    This is entirely up to you. I would never leave mine up in the window but if you have it behind the tint strip(hardwired) and your other windows are tinted it would be extremely difficult to see from the outside of the vehicle.

2. I have an Acura TL. There is not enough room to hang the V1 above the Rear View Mirror.
    I can't see the photo but if you mount your RD above your RVM in the tint strip it will be fine if the tint is not metallic. It may hinder the laser detection performance but will not effect the radar detection performance

3. What do you guys think about the concealed display?
    Most of us with V1's are using concealed displays. This is just so no one can get a sneak peak and it is more inconspicuous

4. I'm also going to get a 35% non-metallic tint on the four side windows and the rear window. Would this drastically hinder the performance of the V1, and if so, should i get a lower percentage?
    No problem with radar detection performance and no problem with laser detection performance during the day. For laser....think as tint as sunglasses on your face. Great during the day but hard to see at night.

To sum it up. What you want to do is perfectly fine and there are many people that have this similar setup but if laser detection is a huge issue to you than I would suggest something different.

Newcomer

Hey I've got an 03 Acura TL-S. I decided to hardwire mine in. I went with a different set up. I didn't want to mount mine in the way of the stock tint strip because in our car when it's up that high, it can't see out the back window. I mounted mine centered on the front windshield, right below the rear view mirror. Because I dont have a condealed display, I can easily see the V1, and easily control all of it's functions. I also take my V1 out of my car most of the time I leave it parked, too big of an investment to have stolen, or even your car window smashed all because of a radar detector. The thing takes 1 second to take off the mount.

Newcomer

Thank you guys for all the help and advice. KOUT, how exactly did you hardwire yours? Do you just have the power cord coming out of the ceiling above the rear view mirror? Also, i'm not very familiar with car electrical systems. That being said, did you hardwire it yourself, and was it easy?

Thanks,

Speed Demon

livinitup0312, any car stereo installer will install it for around $40-50. just give them the hardwire kit that comes with it and your good to go.

Newcomer

the wire that connects from the right side of the V1 goes unnoticibly up the back of the rear view mirror up into my headliner. Like "againstme!" said, if you dont know electrical, don't do this yourself. I had my genious buddy do this for me. Don't hesitate to take the hardewire kit V1 provides you with to a local audio shop and see how much they want to install it. LIterally took my buddy 45 minutes. Hardwiring is only if you don't want your powercord dangling down your dashboard. It's also a pretty good idea to just go buy a cheap case, and take your V1 out of your car overnight or if your leaving your car out somewhere for any period of time. Leaving it in your car is just begging for it to be stolen. Keep us informed of where you mount ur V in ur Ack.