Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default considering new V1, but...

Right now I have a new RX65 and a VERY old V1 I bought on ebay (no visual band identification, bigger then newer model, prolly a little less range). I really like the arrows on the V1 and the bogey counter, which is not present in the RX65. Near my house, there is a K band sign right near where a trooper suposibly sits with constant K band radar, and it would really be useful to have the bogey counter to decide whether to slow down or not.

Anyway, I keep hearing about problems where real alerts are "J'd out..." which would not be good. I live in PA where only state troopers are allowed to use radar and they use 99% K band (supposibly they are testing a few Ka band radar guns).

Can anybody tell me if they ever got any real alerts omitted or if this J problem is fixed yet. I'd really like to get a new V1 but I'm considering waiting until maybe a improved model comes out.

Old Timer

the problem is not fixed yet with the newest version of the v1.

hopefulyl VR will release a version that has the J feature optionable.

Experienced

I think the J can result from multipath, or a junk RD nearby when you get hit. Same as an intermittent blip may mean LEO, a J could mean pop or Ka IO so pay attention. If you see J ahead & gun it, see Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    the problem is not fixed yet with the newest version of the v1.

hopefulyl VR will release a version that has the J feature optionable.

Good Citizen

We all learn to live with what we have.
    Each and every one of these detectors has it's strong points and it's weak points. V1 has the arrows and it's not obnoxious.Great laser detection.
    but it is known to junk out real threats. when this happens slow down to the psl and reboot the unit. Learn to Cope.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: considering new V1, but...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingVolvo
    Can anybody tell me if they ever got any real alerts omitted or if this J problem is fixed yet. I'd really like to get a new V1 but I'm considering waiting until maybe a improved model comes out.
    The J problem still exists... but with that said... if your dead-set on a new V1, just might as well get it now.

I say this for 3 reasons:
    1st: Who knows how long it will be before a new V1.*** comes out.

2nd: Its (always) upgradeable for no fee, or a small fee... and should continue to be (as promised by VR), if they dont want lawsuits (Americans are just crazy about going to court to get money the easy way these days, and I am sure someone would slam them for false advertising if it suddenly becomes non-upgradeable, aka obsolete).

3rd: Just learn to dismiss that the V1 'J' out an alert... treat it as if the V1 is always wrong when it J's something out, its d*mn annoying...

Mainly because you really then loose not only the audio and signal strength associated with it (which is key to determine how far away the LEO is) but also the arrows, so it becomes pretty much worthless as an RD... unless you play with it and wait for it to reboot.

Radar Fanatic

Here is something someone should try, since going through the modes and ending up at (A) mode cancels out a muting, I wonder if doing the same would cancel out a Junk alert and bring back the Ka band alert? Probably not.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Here is something someone should try, since going through the modes and ending up at (A) mode cancels out a muting, I wonder if doing the same would cancel out a Junk alert and bring back the Ka band alert? Probably not.
    I have received Junks in A mode. You would figure that running in all mode would give ALL the detectons but J feature is still on.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by radardude
    I have received Junks in A mode. You would figure that running in all mode would give ALL the detectons but J feature is still on.
    No, what I am saying is that if you were in any mode including (A) mode and you muted a signal or K band automuting muted a signal for you in a logic mode, next go through the modes and end up at (A) again it resets the regular volume like it was never muted.
    So try going through the modes and end up at (A) mode next time you get a junk out and see if Ka comes back.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: considering new V1, but...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingVolvo
    Right now I have a new RX65 and a VERY old V1 I bought on ebay (no visual band identification, bigger then newer model, prolly a little less range). I really like the arrows on the V1 and the bogey counter, which is not present in the RX65. Near my house, there is a K band sign right near where a trooper suposibly sits with constant K band radar, and it would really be useful to have the bogey counter to decide whether to slow down or not.

Anyway, I keep hearing about problems where real alerts are "J'd out..." which would not be good. I live in PA where only state troopers are allowed to use radar and they use 99% K band (supposibly they are testing a few Ka band radar guns).

if the version of the v1 you have detects K band than you should be ok. the v1 doesn't give the Junk alert for K band, only Ka band. :idea:

Default Driving last night

Well last night I had an experience that made me decide to stay with V1.

I was driving with both RDs on the windshield, but only the RX65 on. The RX65 starts to beep both K and Ka for a while, but never increases strength and no LEOs. Then I turned it off and switched on the V1 and it gave me a strong alert with the back arrow. I slowed down and got in the right lane, and then hear truckers behind me talking about a LEO behind them (CB scanner). Sure enough, it was a LEO coming up from behind (I think he had an activated radar drone in his car, cause PSP doesn't have moving radar). Luckly he was going to respond to an accident and not pull me over. The V1 arrows were definatly extremely helpful in this case.

I'm gonna keep my old V1 (old V1 is still good!) and just get a new V1 when the J problem is fixed. My RX65 is going on ebay soon.