Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Valentine 1 does not detect NJ State Troopers?

Hey all,

One of the main reasons I am on the board is that my Valentine 1 (I guess v 1.7 as its about 6-7 years old) fails to detect NJ State Troopers. The detector certainly does work but for some reason it has been silent lately (or always?) when it comes to NJ State Troopers. I literally passed within 10 feet of a trooper on Garden State Parkway and the unit gave no signs of the radar. I called Valentine One and they have told me that I would have to pay $180 for an upgrade (ie NEW UNIT as mine cannot be upgraded but can be traded in). I do love the fact that I can Visor mount it, very convenient. Yet, if it does not detect State Troopers what is the point???!!? Anyone has any experience with V1 in NJ... I read the BEL reviews, and they are nice and all, yet it seems V1 is quicker. Though in my experience it DOES NOT have an 11 mile range, I wonder where in the world that number came from I got 500 feet tops...

Also, any place to get LASER MIMIC?

Thanks

Banned

Police officers are fully aware that people have radar detectors, therefore they don't always keep the radar gun on. If the radar gun isn't on then your detector obviously won't go off. Another explanation could be that your X band is turned off. NJ cops use X band and they also use POP mode. POP detection is something the 1.7 doesn't have(POP2).

Radar Fanatic

The 1.7 is a decent detector, even being several years old. It should be able to pick up basically anything on the road except for Ku, which nobody has yet. But if I were you I'd probably go ahead and pay the $180 for the trade-in. (It's really a pretty good deal when you consider how much mileage you got out of the 1.7.) Ka band is becoming more common, including low-powered units which are difficult to detect from a distance. In my humble opinion this is the most important reason to upgrade. The thinner case is also nice.

Other than that, JTW is dead-on. If the radar isn't turned on your detector won't alert to it. You have to be VERY CAREFUL if you live where instant on is used, which is basically everywhere.

Radar Fanatic

I don't know how long you have had this unit but If their is a P in the display on the power up cycle, like Chris said something might very well be shut off. Most likely X band.
    You would have to go to the programming section at VR to find out how to bring back the settings.
    http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp
    You can also run your serial # on the upgrade page to see where your unit stands.
    http://valentine1.com/upgrades/

Good Citizen

pay the money...get the upgraded new detector--its an awesome deal.

Speed Demon

When did NJ State Police start using POP? I have never encountered anything but X band and laser(once) from these Troopers.

As other have mentioned, there is nothing wrong w/ your V1. The trooper's cruiser you are passing simply have their radar on standby mode.

Advanced Member

to my knowledge they NJ troopers don't use POP at all....

But please keep in mind a Radar detector is not a cop finder it will only tell you about those that have their radar running

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by midd
    As other have mentioned, there is nothing wrong w/ your V1. The trooper's cruiser you are passing simply have their radar on standby mode.
    All the explanations above are possible. It's also possible that your V1 is busted. You could send it back for service. I did this a few years ago and Valentine returned the detector (which was well outside the warranty) repaired and with my uncashed check.

This experience made me a Valentine customer for life.

Newcomer

Thats awesome customer service....now only if we could get RMR to be that helpful....lol

Founder of Stealthvation

Oh yeah VR has top notch customer service like Radarbusters.com
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!