Thread: New V-1 User

Default New V-1 User

Ok I just got my V-1 friday. So far I've just been driving around going the speed limit testing it out. I've been switching from "L" and "lil-L" I have only been getting K and X bands. Are these 2 the more popular bands or what?

A friend and me are taking a trip to colorado this weekend going down through Kansas using I-70. I this interstate watched quite a bit by cops? Will I get the Ka or L bands on the interstate?

What are some ways to program the V-1 to get the best preformance in town and highway driving. Will "L" mode work fine for highway driving?

Thanks for the help

Newcomer

Wich state do you live in? That is also an important factor

Ah my bad I thought it showed it to the left. I live in south east nebraska

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: New V-1 User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewc-c
    Ok I just got my V-1 friday. So far I've just been driving around going the speed limit testing it out. I've been switching from "L" and "lil-L" I have only been getting K and X bands. Are these 2 the more popular bands or what?

A friend and me are taking a trip to colorado this weekend going down through Kansas using I-70. I this interstate watched quite a bit by cops? Will I get the Ka or L bands on the interstate?

What are some ways to program the V-1 to get the best preformance in town and highway driving. Will "L" mode work fine for highway driving?

Thanks for the help
    K&X are the most popular radar bands (for your local stores auto-doors), you are probably getting a lot of falses on those two bands in the city.

K is (as of now) the most popular and widely used band by law enforcement.

You will see some Ka band, and some laser on the highways/interstate after enough driving.

Newcomer

Hey Andrew,

Congrats on your V1. I take the route you mentioned quite often, as I live in Manhattan, KS and my GF lives in Colorado Springs. While I've owned a V1 in the past, I don't currently have one now Had to sell it for financial reasons, but anyways that's besides the point, I should be getting one back soon.

I did have some run-ins with KS state troopers while I still had my V1. They tend to leave their radar running, so in KS you'll be able to pick them up from miles away, as it's a pretty flat drive.

While this is a generalization, I'd still say play it safe and have a rabbit if you plan on running it faster than the speed limit. I've passed state troopers w/o a detector going 80ish in a 70 and they didn't seem to blink an eye. Without my V1 I wasn't sure if they were even running radar, so just play it smart, drive safe and find a rabbit

Aaron

Good Citizen

I run in full Logic Mode (L) when going back and forth to work during the week as the false alarms tend to cause me to tune the RD out. But when traveling the highways (which I do often for work) I use the All Mode (A). If I'm travling the interstate through a big town I will sometimes go to Limited Logic Mode (l) but I'll turn the mute volume up high enough that it will get my attention.

Advanced Member

ON the highways I use 'A' mode....

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

If you just got your V1, put it in A mode and learn where all the normal threats and flases are in your area.

Once you know the roads, I'd say just leave it in L mode all the time.

If your going on a trip, and your on the highway, pop it back into A mode since your unfamiliar with the territory.

Thank you for all the helpfull replies. Now is it wise to program the V-1 differently or should I just keep it how it is for now?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewc-c
    Thank you for all the helpfull replies. Now is it wise to program the V-1 differently or should I just keep it how it is for now?
    If you like to tinker its not bad to become familiar with the process. However I agree with KOUT that you should run it in A mode for a while and learn where the normal falses in your area are. Once you get the feel for where what band is causing your falses you can consider tweaking things a bit.

I started of on day 1 with X band disbled. Then a few days later enabled K Band Auto mute (K stays muted until 4 LEDs) to help with all the falsing.

After a few X band sightings in my area I switched it back on. After I almost got tagged because I forgot to disable K band auto mute, I pulled that off as well. I'm currently back to factory defaults running advanced logic mode to help with the X band falses. I also installed a remote mute button next to the shifter to help ease muting all the falses.