Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default V1 Installation and Viel

So heres my question.

If I integrate the V1 remote into my dash, do I still have to have the main unit out somewhere that it can sense radar or can it be consealed?

Can someone explain how the remote setup works? I'm a little confused here.

Also, when using Viel, how often do you have dto recoat surfaces in a rainy climate?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I have never used a RD before.

Thanks for any guidence anyone can give me.

Josh

Good Citizen

Hey - Welcome... the conceled display for the V1 is mostly so you can have your detector where people cant see it - but you can still see all you warnings. For me - i have a 5% windshield strip across the top. and i mounted my v1 behind it. that way you cannot see it from outside the car, and is hard to tell its there - the Conceled display then can be mounted anywhere and all the warnings are diplayed through it. As long as the detector has a clear/level view of infront and behind the road - you can put it anywhere. And i do not use Veil yet. But It would be my guess that your reapply it a couple times a year. Anymore questions and Imyself and the others would be happy to help. Once again.. welcome and enjoy!

- Jordan

I guess I just don't understand the point of integrating a remote display into your dash as shown here, http://p-car.com/diy/v1/remote/index.html
    and still have to have the V1 itself in plain view.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Josh

Manufacturer

First, I would like to cordially welcome you hear to our growing "family."

I have owned three V1's over a fifteen plus year period and purchased a remote display unit with the last purchase last December.

You'll always want the V1 unit to have a clear line-of-site of radar/laser sources. If you are interested in realizing the maximum benefit of its rear-sensitivity the same should hold from the rear facing of the unit.

I think the original intent of the remote display head-unit was to hide the fact that it is being used from other drivers [you are likely passing] in the evening and to cut-down on the likelihood of other drivers getting a "free-ride" off your tail.

Although I don't believe these types of installs are directly supported by VR, I am aware of some external housings that allow one to mount the V1 unit external to your vehicle below the front bumper area. This way the V1 still has a clear line-of-site to radar/laser sources while providing the benefit of a stealth install. Rear detection may suffer and rear-laser may really suffer, but those trade-offs are OK to some.

I am not aware of any warranty support issues that one may encounter with performing such an install, so I would strongly recommend that you check directly with the manufacturer to see what their policies are regarding these kinds of installs.

With respect to VEIL, we have made great strides into assuring that VEIL survives rain and snow storms alike. Provided that the product sets up properly as described in the manual, rain should basically not be an issue for you. I personally have VEIL on the rear of one of my vehicles for well over a year now and its still going strong.

The front tends to wear more because of stone chips that can appear. At least, though, your headlights are protected from them as VEIL will take the brunt of it.

Good luck with your choices and again welcome to the forum.

BTW, what is a 917? Do you have any PICs?

I hope this helps answers your questions,

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

The Veil Guy, http://home.earthlink.net/~chrisbnel...porsche917.htm
    http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...1&trkid=181026

Josh,
    I have to give credit to BiGeAsYgUy for the link to the best Porsche V1 concealed display IT IS SO SWEET!
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...e+concealed+v1

Manufacturer

V1 Dave,

Wow. I guess that sucker isn't streatable...sure would be nice, though. :wink:

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

the original intent of the remote display head-unit was to hide the fact that it is being used from other drivers [you are likely passing] in the evening and to cut-down on the likelihood of other drivers getting a "free-ride" off your tail.
    since Valentine recommends mounting up high (such as by your rearview mirror), the concealed display lets you see the alerts in a more viewable place as well.

I'm not sure where to put this v1. It's going in an Acura NSX if anyone has any special install ideas.

I'm sort of clueless.

Thanks

Josh

Advanced Member

yes thee valentine 1 unit will go some where on the wind shield...here is the first part of that guys installlation
    http://p-car.com/diy/v1/

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

thats trick way to do it..... very good that is........

i know i'd probibly cut the thing wrong!!