Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default how can I get the most out of my V1?

Im a brand new user of V1, I havent even got it yet to be honest. Im hoping that UPS will come with it tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

Now what I would love to know from you experienced users is pretty simple. How can I get the most out of my V1? What should I do? Ive read a lot in this forum, and I can see that its not just to put it up in your windshield and turn it on and thats it. Im living in Wisconsin close to Minnesota and Im going to drive around a lot this summer when I have my vacation. Can you guys tell me what settings I should use where or is it just to turn it on and not think more about it? I realize that I should drive around and find where all the false alarms will be, but what about when Im driving somewhere Ive never been before? When Im cruising down I 90 or what ever interstate I might drive? Thank you for your feedback guys.

Radar Fanatic

Well I turned X band off - even though it is still considered used around here - I'm 99% sure its not - either way.

Run it in A mode for a week or so until you can basicaly guess when the detector will go off for whatever falses. You can than change it to l or L mode depending on how annoying the x band is to ya.

Good Citizen

So what happens if you use it in A mode is that you will have a lot of alerts and it will be really annoying to drive because its going to be a lot of false alerts?

Radar Fanatic

It may, or may not be alot of alerts - it really depends on what you have around you. If you go by alot of banks, automatic doors - security stuff - yeah it'll go off alot. If you don't - than it won't.

A = All mode - everything it catches - you know at full volume. I did mine for about 4 days and than started tweaking it so it only goes off when its an alert. There isn't a catchall setting for everyone. We can recommend but ultimately its going to be to you to pick out the best settings for yourself and the situations you daily or ever come across.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by S4
    So what happens if you use it in A mode is that you will have a lot of alerts and it will be really annoying to drive because its going to be a lot of false alerts?
    To start I have had my V1 just two weeks now and in that time I have learned many things as will you by researching this site and others (OK so 99% from this site!) I leave my V1 in l (lodgic) mode since I know that CHP (CA) use KA about 99.9 % and I have yet to see LASER. A mode stands for All Bogeys which means that the instant radar or laser is detected it will alert you. Run it in this mode for a good two weeks to get familiar with your surroundings. Then, afterwards put it in l which is logic mode or L for advanced logic.

l mode will alert you to X at the muted volume (set by the lever not the knob) until the signal (strength) because stronger. Also this mode will mute K band for a USER defined amount of time of up to 30 seconds and/or if it surpases 4 or 6 levels of strength. You will have to learn how to prgram your V1 to set the amount of time for K band automuting and whether or not after level 4 or 6 will it announce the warning at initial volume (knob). Go to http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp to learn this and print it out and keep it in your glove box for safe keeping.

L means that X will NOT be alerted to you unless the strength goes over 5 or 6 I am not sure but I know it is high and also it filters out K more than l. After you get familiar with your area then you can turn of X and/or K if not used by the police. And one last thing it may or may not help much but handle the V1 with care meaning try not to scratch the lenses because I think it may hinder your detection range. I am not sure but I do it just to be safe. Finally, have fun! I beleive that you will enjoy your V1 very much!

Ace

Old Timer

Default S4

Depending on where you live S4, if x band isn't used, A and little L mode work just fine. If x band is used around where you live, then the big L could be used since the x band falsing can tend to bother you. When I go into IN or OH, I use the big L and notice the x band doesn't drive me nuts compared to the other modes. Everyone has different preferences. Up here w/ the windows down, using the A mode really helps.

Good Citizen

Thanks guys. I thougth that all you had to do when I got it was to turn it on. I have a couple of friends with cheap detectors, and I dont think they even read the manual for it. I guess reading the manual and just trying different things will be the best thing to do. Just make sure that Im not speeding when I do that because I cant get more tickets. Got 11 out of 12 points so any ticket at all will give me a little problem.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by S4
    Thanks guys. I thougth that all you had to do when I got it was to turn it on. I have a couple of friends with cheap detectors, and I dont think they even read the manual for it. I guess reading the manual and just trying different things will be the best thing to do. Just make sure that Im not speeding when I do that because I cant get more tickets. Got 11 out of 12 points so any ticket at all will give me a little problem.
    Run it with factory programming for at least a month or 12 so you can learn what to expect. I run mine in L mode unless on the highway & that works good for me.

Professional

I have been very happy with factory settings, If you live out in the boonies like I do, just leave it in "A" mode for best response time. and use either "L" or "l" mode for city driving. I have driven more than 120 miles round trip one night last week without a peep from mine. The state boys are using laser, K, KA, and Vascar. Nothing will help you with vascar since it is a glorified stopwatch that is prone to mistakes by the operator and the results can be swayed by the operator too. If you got a cop with a hard-on for ya, there is no winning with any contermeasure.

I would suggest buying a popular ticket defense program so maybe you could win a few court cases, and learn what mistakes police commonly make that can turn into you losing your license for being wrongly accused.

But remember radar detectors do not make you "ticket Proof"
    if you are the only person on the road and a cop is using instant on, you are dead to rights Busted!!!

if you have accumulated enough demerit points to be on the edge of losing your license, I would suggest not speeding at all, but use your new V-1 to learn police radar targeting techniques and at least wait until you get some points back before even going 1 mph over the limit.

If you get stopped with an RD in the car, your chance of just getting a warning have decreased severly.

You can learn alot by using your V-1 daily, but do not expect miracles.

Radar Fanatic

VASCAR may be used in both MN and WI. WI has been a heavy user of VASCAR. Laser, K, and Ka bands are the primary bands used in WI and MN. There have not been many reports of X band use in those states. If this is not the case I'm sure the MN and WI members will let us know.

I agree with the others. Run it in A mode and L mode in urban areas.

GTO_04