Thread: False positives

Default False positives

Has anyone set off the laser detector by spraying the windshield using a water hose directly in front of the detector?

Also, I've noticed that when my cell phone switches from digital to analog or goes to no signal and phone states "searching for service", it will briefly set off my V1.

Has anyone encountered these false positives?

Power User

Default Re: False positives

Quote Originally Posted by del_parker
    Has anyone set off the laser detector by spraying the windshield using a water hose directly in front of the detector?
    :shock: Ummmm haven't had that happen!

Experienced

Default Re: False positives

Quote Originally Posted by del_parker

Also, I've noticed that when my cell phone switches from digital to analog or goes to no signal and phone states "searching for service", it will briefly set off my V1.

Has anyone encountered these false positives?
    That is strange. I got a Nextel CP and I can't get that to happen. Check and make sure you have a good ground to your V1.

Newcomer

I've noticed the water thing when I hit my washer thingy to spray the windshield while I'm driving.

Speed Demon

i'll take a shot at explaining this phenomenon. ir light is part of the light spectrum you cant see. it was discovered by using a prism which as you know separates the light into its visible colors along with the ir you cant see. if you have ever seen a rainbow then you have seen the prism effect created by water. have you ever sprayed a water hose and seen a small rainbow? if so then you also would have detected ir if you were properly equipped to do so. now im no expert on this subject and could probably do a better job of explaining this so dont blast me but after reading a couple books on ir i can propose this as a possible explanation. a simple hypothesis.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDawg19
    i'll take a shot at explaining this phenomenon. ir light is part of the light spectrum you cant see. it was discovered by using a prism which as you know separates the light into its visible colors along with the ir you cant see. if you have ever seen a rainbow then you have seen the prism effect created by water. have you ever sprayed a water hose and seen a small rainbow? if so then you also would have detected ir if you were properly equipped to do so. now im no expert on this subject and could probably do a better job of explaining this so dont blast me but after reading a couple books on ir i can propose this as a possible explanation. a simple hypothesis.
    Excellent description BullyDog, But I thought it was ultraviolet light that was discovered in this manner, (ultraviolet meaning way far end of the purple or violet part of the rainbow)

As for a cell-phone setting off laser, I do not know how that could happen, a radar band possibly, but as far as I am aware cell radiation is not in the spectrum of light, Visible or otherwise. Are you sure the phone kicks out a laser alert from your RD?

Speed Demon

here goes another history lesson for you - infrared rays were first discovered by using a thermometer in england in 1800 by a scientist named William Herschel. He experimented with sunlight using a glass prism and a mercury thermometer.
    Most people knew that the prism could break apart the sunlight into the spectrum of colors but no one had thought to use a thermometer and a prism together to try to measure the amount of heat in each color. he placed the prism into a beam of light and proceeded to put the thermometer into each color. he then recorded the temp of each color and subtracted the room temp so that all was left was the temp of the colored light.he then moved the thermometer beyond red and found that it still gave a reading where no light could be seen. thus we have the infra"red" region. that region which is just outside of your viewing capabilites. the water droplets in the air could in fact act as a prism and the infrared region sets off the detector. Hows that for an explanation?
    i bought several books off a discount website and have learned so much more about it than i ever thought possible. my unerstanding of lasers and infrared light has grown tremendously. i would reccomend that you all do the same if you are serious about your "toys" like i am.

Radar Fanatic

i've not got an alert when its raining / and using window washer.

i've not washed the car with it switched on but netx time i'll give it a try.

Radar Fanatic

Mine sometimes does it, don't think it works in the rain.
    What you have to do is drive into direct sunlight then hit it with the washer, I always use wipers at full blast but be careful as this is really going to be a challenge as you will have blinding sun and trenched windows at the same time. :shock:
    Mine has always done it on my visor mounted vehicle, since my unit is bigger (1.7) it probably drops slightly below my tint strip.

Advanced Member

Never had either of those things happen to me. However, I used to mount the V1 a bit further down on the WS (I keep it right under the tint now). It would false on a sunny day when the sun was fairly low (morning and evening rush hour). I read somewhere -- on the V1 site I think -- that mounting it higher would keep it out of the suns reflections from the hood. I moved it up and the false laser alerts stopped. I mean completely stopped! Since then every time the laser alert has gone off I've been able to id the LEO.

This doesn't really give an explanation for your cases, but just for fun, you might want to experiment with where you mount the V1. Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing your results, if any.