In my quest to find the best RD for me, I am now evaluating the X50. I am comparing it to my V1 experience of a month ago. I've only used the X50 a tad in the last couple of days, but so far, here are my obs:
1. Band Readout: (I got the blue. A *very* cool display.) The information readout is, IMO, superior to V1's indiscernible red leds. I can quickly tell what's happening without having an eye aneurism and brain lock trying to determine which light is lit. It's also modern. So, for display, I have to give it to X50. X50: Grade: A- (There's still room for higher resolution.) V1: D. (Come on, you could at least use different color LEDs like shown on this forum).
2. Directional Arrows: No fair fight here. X50: N/A V1: A+
3. Unit Bundle: The X50 comes with a super-fancy case. For me, keep your fancy case and throw in a straight cord and a visor clip. I can't believe I have to use the macaroni cord and no stinking visor clip. The suction cup mechanism is much better with the V1. Sticks better and far easier to remove. All in all, I give the X50 a C for accessories. The V1, gets an A-. VR is definitely more thoughtful here.
4. Manners (Junk Signal Processing): One thing that is for sure, the X50 is a better behaved unit. It seems to process junk signals better. It's quieter. (I know that the V1 is more sensitive in certain situations, causing it's incessant beeping. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a price to pay.) Regardless, for "Manners" I give the X50 an A. The V1 is a bit chatty and pulls in a B+.
5. Bogey Counter: Well they each do it in their own way. I still can't shake the V1's bogey count = 9 on my last trip. Fun, but not tremendously useful. With the X50, you do get a *profile* of the bands in use across the multiple signals. If you were going through an area and picked up an extra Ka, for instance, that's useful information. Just knowing the number alone isn't completely useful. X50 A-. V1 B.
6. Radar Protection: Not sure yet. Have yet to get a LEO on the X50. Not enough miles logged. I will be travelling with it a lot soon though.
7. (edit) Laser Protection: Not sure yet. See above.
8. (edit) Unit Volume: The X50's highest volume is just adequate. It's sometimes hard to hear in a loud car. I could see problems with this. X50: B- for volume. V1: A
Let's see. What did I forget? Well, I'll edit it in later. Gentlemen, fire at will.