Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Is there something wrong with my V1?? (Video Attached)

I've been in love with my V1 since the day I got it (back in May) but recently I've been noticing some weird activity from it and was wondering if anyone here has any advice as to what I should do. Here goes:

I noticed that the NYPD here has acquired Ka Speed Signs so I figured that I'd take a video to show the great Ka range I was receiving. Today I go out with my camera and try to get a shot at it. No alert. Only when I am right on top of it, it goes full alert. It has been acting like this on and off for a week now. Great range one day, crap range another. All on the same source. It even happens at different times of the day so I know its not a settings issue on the sign.

I also noticed that the arrows might be malfunctioning. With ONE bogey, I am getting two arrows lighting up, as shown in the video.

I apologize for the bad quality but I wanted to show how bad the range was today in terms of distance to the sign.

I still love my V1 but I'm concerned that it might not be working the way it should be. Does this warrant me sending it back in to get it checked or am I just wasting my time?
    And yes I've done my reading and I see that sometimes they do fall out of tune.. but this early? I've logged maybe 5000 miles at most. I keep it out of the heat in a protective case and it has never been dropped.

Thanks

EDIT: Link fixed. Please be gentle with the bandwidth

NEW LINK: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~j...l/MVI_3840.AVI

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Video is dead.

Radar Fanatic

That range looks terrible. If you sometimes get much better range than that on the same sign, I'd send it in to V1. Do you have a backup detector to test?

-Obsidian-

Newcomer

No, I don't have a backup to test with. I could possibly borrow a 1.8 Pre POP and compare it with that but I have been thinking that the range problem might be because of the way the sign is aimed... If the beam pattern is very narrow and it is aimed at the right lane from where it is placed, I would think this would affect range just not that bad.

What about the two arrows lighting up at the same time with only one bogey on the counter? Has anyone experienced this at any time?

V1 Zombie

Vid link not working
    Cant be sure but the Ka speed sign maybe out of the normal Ka cop radar Frequency. So the Ka guard (i think Sec 5 VR site) is kicking in Then it gets too strong for the V1 and the V1 lets go as it should. Thats my guess. Find a cop using Ka that will be the real test. If that's crape send the baby in and get it checked out for free.

What about the two arrows lighting up at the same time with only one bogey on the counter? Has anyone experienced this at any time?
    That's normal to dude all it's telling you is that your are surrounded by the radar One arrow will be flashing telling you where the Threat is 8)
    Anyway your so covered by VR don't worry :wink:
    Hope it help's

Sleep well

Founder of Stealthvation

Stealthjamal had a similar problem with a K ban dspeedsign with his X50, 8500, and STI. They all performed poorly but that was because the battery on the speedsign was really low
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Newcomer

I don't know why the video is not working correctly but here is the link:
    http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~j...l/MVI_3840.AVI

I have had better range with this particular sign in the past. Once you see the video I think you'll see what I'm concerned about. There is NO alert at all. Nothing and then full blast. This is the first time this has happened so I am very concerned that something might be wrong. That along with never seeing two arrows appear for one bogey made me think that something was crazy with my V1. Hopefully the video works now. If it doesn't please let me know and I will find another place to host it.

Thanks

Scratonicity Groupie

uhh holy freakin smokes nice host!! 1080KB avg download :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    as per the V1 that's hard to say. its possible they could of turned down the range some on it, to save battery life throughout the day, the V1 IMO looked like it did pretty good. its hard to tell in the video but it looked like you got a warning before you could see the sign.

the only other thing I could think of would be how hot was it outside that day? I know on the Bels that heat can really mess with um but I've never heard of a story where has messed with the V1. but its possible I suppose.

Since you got it in may I'm guessing your rev is 3.826?

maybe Prof. Jim can shine some light on the subject

Speed Demon

The arrows look pretty normal to me.

It does look a little strange why it didn't alert earlier. You were using little L mode. Any other changes to the configuration?

Any one else notice the car behind you didn't care what the speed limit was. They passed you anyways because you slowed down.

Newcomer

Thanks for the responses guys. I will try the same route on my way home today and see if things have improved. I was more concerned about the arrows showing two locations (this being towards the end of the video)for one radar source but if you say its normal, sounds good to me, ill just have to get used to it. (The 2 bogeys from one source I have seen before, just never two arrows on one)

Yes, The unit is a 3.826. Prof. Jim: any say? Everyone seems to think this is normal, I'd like to avoid sending in my unit if possible but for the same token I don't want to have it not function properly. I would expect even an alert of 2 dots telling me something was ahead. If that was a LEO, i'd be in a bit of trouble.

It was pretty hot out but nothing out of the ordinary.

Other changes are only 30sec K band muting. All bands on, POP on, False Alarm Guard on. I have not had a real alert J'ed out but I pick up lots of detectors that do not get filtered.

I'll give it another try today, one run with my 3.826 and another with my dad's 1.8 w/o POP

Thanks