Thread: XM setsoff V1?

Default XM setsoff V1?

Had some problems with my Roady2 XM radio in my car triggering V1, seem to depend on antenna location. Now have it installed on my motorcyle with my V1 and it triggers it, on A, L, and small L. Making an 8 day round trip from Michigan to California this week and need the V1 working. Don't have many mounting option on the bike. Any one heard of this problems? Definetly only occurs when the radio is on. Thanks

Advanced Member

Default Re: XM setsoff V1?

Quote Originally Posted by v1whit
    Had some problems with my Roady2 XM radio in my car triggering V1, seem to depend on antenna location. Now have it installed on my motorcyle with my V1 and it triggers it, on A, L, and small L. Making an 8 day round trip from Michigan to California this week and need the V1 working. Don't have many mounting option on the bike. Any one heard of this problems? Definetly only occurs when the radio is on. Thanks
    Does it alert to X-Band?
    You're not the only one with this problem, I have heard of others having a problem with their XM setting off their detector.

XM is at 2.3 GHz or so, I believe. What is probably happening is that there is a local oscillator in your XM system that runs at close to 2.3 GHz, so that it can mix down the incoming 2.3 GHz signal. The local oscillator is probably leaking harmonics in the police X-Band region.

I am only speculating, but if this is what is happening, I doubt a different detector would help you either, since the XM is basically leaking a police radar frequency.

So if you need it to be working, and it is alerting on X-band, you could turn off X-band in the detector and take your chances. Other than that, if you can't position the units so that no interference occurs, there's not much else you could do except dump the XM.

Jim

Newcomer

don't know if this helps but when i first got my XM a little over a year ago, it interfered with my GPS (on my motorcycle). it was a known issue being discussed on the various motorcycle boards. i just had to call the manufacturer and they sent a new unit (promptly) that had some upgraded electronics / filtering and it solved the problem. could be the same / similar situation. i believe the more recently manufactured units do not have the problem.

gw.

Newcomer

I had a problem a while ago where I had my GPS holder directly under my Radar Detector (Bel 925 Express) and when I had my GPS in the mount, the GPS would get horrible signal and sometimes none. Now I have my X50 with the same GPS and have no probs even know the X50 is mounted high.

-L33T_Hacksta

Radar Fanatic

http://www.valentine1.com/FalseAlarms/

From the way it's worded, the V1 site almost sounds like it's dependant on what antenna you're using.

Good Citizen

In my mustang, the roady2 never set off my V1.

Newcomer

Has anyone ever heard of Sirius setting a RD off? I've got one and the RD is mounted right beside the receiver. I've never had an alert when using both...

Default Isolated the problem a bit

Its the mag antenna, no matter where i put it the v1 signals the correct location. It activates the K band. I tried my home kit antenna and it works great without any interference. I had noticed that my v1 went off in the car depending on how far back I put the antenna. Do I have a faulty v1, mag antenna, or what? The antenna is a Delphi original, actually I have two and think I have had problems with both.

Radar Fanatic

I have a SkyFi and have never had a problem with interference. I, too, am using the original Delphi magnetic antenna. This could have something to do with your particular unit.

Speed Demon

When I had xm it never set my passport off. I now have sirius that also has never set it off either. I mounted the antenna either on the roof or the dash no problems.

XM is on 2,332.50 through 2,345.00 MHz
    Sirius is on 2,320.00 through 2,332.50 MHz

The only thing that sets off my passport is
    Led tail lights, sets off laser
    my cellphone, sets off x band rarely
    cheap detectors, sets off x band
    cellphone jammer, does wierd things "read my other thread"