Experienced

Default How to hardwire my V1?

I know there are already a number of threads regarding this topic, but mine is a bit more specific: I want to run the direct wire from the fusebox, so how do I do that? I´m not an electrician so some "for dummies" instruction wouldn´t be amiss.

Radar Fanatic

The way I used is to tap into the fusebox is with a fuse tap, available at Radio Shack. That's just a little connector that plugs in under a fuse blade. That will connect to a female bladed crip connector, (again readily available at Radio Shack), attached to red wire from the hardwire kit. You can either cut the existing wire tap thing off of the hard wire kit or connect the fuse tap to another piece of wire that you'll connect to via the wire tap. (It's probably more reliable not to use the second wire...fewer connections to potentially fail.) Find a good chassis ground for the black wire, route everything, and you're in business. If your fuse box is in the engine bay then the hard part may be routing the wire through the firewall. Just take your time and ask plenty of questions if you need to.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    The way I used is to tap into the fusebox is with a fuse tap, available at Radio Shack. That's just a little connector that plugs in under a fuse blade. That will connect to a female bladed crip connector, (again readily available at Radio Shack), attached to red wire from the hardwire kit. You can either cut the existing wire tap thing off of the hard wire kit or connect the fuse tap to another piece of wire that you'll connect to via the wire tap. (It's probably more reliable not to use the second wire...fewer connections to potentially fail.) Find a good chassis ground for the black wire, route everything, and you're in business. If your fuse box is in the engine bay then the hard part may be routing the wire through the firewall. Just take your time and ask plenty of questions if you need to.
    Thanks for the explanation brick. I now have an idea about how to go about it.

I tapped into my cigagrette lighter... a little safer imo than going for the fusebox and easier to wire up.

Newcomer

One important thing to remember, be sure that the fuse outlet you're tapping in to is ignition-controlled and not always on. You can test this by securing the ground and hooking everything up, then plugging the fuse blade into an open socket and seeing if the V1 comes on with the ignition or not.