Good Citizen

Default 1100 mile trip and a question

Recently got back from a 1100 mile (one way) trip from NJ to the U.P of MI. Boy what a trip. Ohio, my V1 didn't pick up anything and plenty of gentlemen in white cars ready to hand out some pain..I would assume it was laser. And around Flint MI I passed a nice gentlemen and no detection, guess he was on a break.

However all in all was a nice ride. In PA though in the construction areas on route 80 the V1 picked up most of the construction sign's however, there were 4 or 5 that showed my speed and not a beep. Anyone know what they might of been using KU? Laser? something wrong with my v1? I tried different modes (there were plenty of signs) as a test and Those special "your speed is signs" didn't even get picked up, should I worry?

thoughts?

Thanks

mcr072378

Speed Demon

Default Re: 1100 mile trip and a question

Quote Originally Posted by mcr072378
    Recently got back from a 1100 mile (one way) trip from NJ to the U.P of MI. Boy what a trip. Ohio, my V1 didn't pick up anything and plenty of gentlemen in white cars ready to hand out some pain..I would assume it was laser. And around Flint MI I passed a nice gentlemen and no detection, guess he was on a break.

However all in all was a nice ride. In PA though in the construction areas on route 80 the V1 picked up most of the construction sign's however, there were 4 or 5 that showed my speed and not a beep. Anyone know what they might of been using KU? Laser? something wrong with my v1? I tried different modes (there were plenty of signs) as a test and Those special "your speed is signs" didn't even get picked up, should I worry?

thoughts?

Thanks

mcr072378
    Remember, if the Leo does not have his radar on, then you will not get an alert. It has been my experience that many times, when you pass Leos', they are not running radar...no problem there. As far as speed signs, they tend to fall out of tune, so therefore are either not picked up, or are rejected as false.

Radar Fanatic

Mike Valentine wrote:

"The failure to alert to a particular speed sign might have one of several causes:

1) The speed sign may employ an FM-CW modulation technique to sense the direction of vehicles in its field of view. This feature is used to isolate departing from oncoming traffic. The V1 does not recognize FM-CW modulation as a valid police radar signal and tries to reject it. FM-CW is allowed for license-free "Part 15" devices by the FCC. FM-CW is not allowed for police radar. There are numerous traffic-volume sensors using FM-CW spread all around metropolitan areas these days that detector owners would rather not produce an alert. Otherwise freeway driving (in Cincinnati, at least) would be very annoying. It's a good thing that the V1 rejects FM-CW modulated signals.

2) The speed sign may have drifted out of the police radar band from aging or temperature. "Part 15" devices are somewhat notorious for this behavior. Automatic door sensors and Doppler security sensors are both "Part 15" devices, too. Few automatic door sensors use FM-CW because of the added expense. The speed sign devices can afford the added cost of including the FM-CW modulating hardware.

3) The V1 in question may need for our service department to have a look at it to make sure it is operating correctly."

Good Citizen

guys,

thanks for the great replies. Makes sense, i figured it was something like that as any real leo's have been pretty consistent.

On route 23 south in MI I was doing about 15-20 over the speed limit and some guy in a M3 was crawling up my butt, well Ka bings, I move over let him pass and see him SLAM on his brakes just as he passed the leo..I passed at the speed limit laughing my ass off the whole way only to catch up to him about 5 miles later. He followed me thru Ohio..LOL.

Again thanks for the feedback much appreciate it. I have been trolling for a while around here and thought i would finally post up and glad I did.

mcr072378

Good Citizen

so I did a little more digging and realized i have never had an update. in fact i am running V 1.8 but software 3.789. With that said i look for some feedback if i should send it in to get updated...I have been reading tons about the new software and people saying to wait till it is debugged until 851 but anyone help a newbie out with some opinions?

UPDATE: so I called VR...asked hey I am running this and i see the newest software is BLAH. would it be a performance increase if I updated from my current version to the new? The response, I don't know go onto the website...LOL classic.

thanks

mcr072378