I thought I would compile a list of problems I have noticed with my 3.851 so that other users can decipher if they have a bad unit or if it starts to go bad.
1. Awful Ka range. You will see the cop car then get your alert and it will appear as if its instant on. I never got one Ka alert that was legit before I could physically see the cop car.
2. Ghosting. You will K & Ka ghosting for no reason.
EX: Three times now I have been driving on an old empty farm road and gotten Ka ghosting from the rear & front where it will count up to 3 bogeys, then down to 2, then back to 3, then it will disappear. Same for K band today while driving on RT 1. I got a K ghost from the side arrows for a good half mile.
3. K band seems to quiet? If you are like me and came from 3.826 you know it was a monster and had to be tamed with some custom settings. If you can slap this thing on big L and it stays quiet something is up.
4. " E " if you have ever gotten this which I have 3 times its a clear sign something is screwed up. Send it back asap.
5. Laser detection is hit or miss. I have done a lot of testing with board memebers laser guns and with 3.826 I got a constant steady alert on the JTG's and a constant alert till around 800FT on JFG runs with it.
With the 3.851 on the JTG runs it will some times just stop at 500Ft making me think there was punch through. But then it will wait 2 seconds and go again. As per rear laser detection its basically non exisitant with 3.851.
Mines going out today with a huge very negative letter.