Radar Fanatic

Default V1 upgrade price

I just noticed that the price for an upgrade from a non-pop 1.8 to the latest firmware has gone from $55 to $75. Mine is still under a year old. This seems kind of silly because I don't know what I would get now that I wouldn't have gotten before. Euro mode doesn't do anything for me, and the 3.824 update fixes something that was broken to begin with (the false alarm guard). I'm thinking maybe I'll send a friendly email and ask what's up.

Advanced Member

I believe the addition of Euro more required some hardware updates, hence the price increase.

Radar Fanatic

That would explain it. Out of curiosity do you have any insight as to what hardware would need to be updated? My understanding is that it's just skipping over frequencies that aren't in use in Europe. I can make it skip over any band I want with the programming mode.

Advanced Member

The Euro mode provides increased sensitivity to weak photo radar by only sweeping the frequencies of interest, and cutting out the rest of the Ka band sweep. Examining a frequency for a longer period of time can result in increased sensitivity on that frequency. But as I understand it, to fully realize the sensitivity gains, bandpass filters inside the unit need to be changed as well. I believe that since it is examining the frequencies for a longer period of time, the filters can be "narrowed", so that less noise passes through, resulting in better sensitivity. (Not sure if this is 100% but I'm pretty sure this is the gist of it)

Normally, disabling bands in the V1 doesn't actually change the sweep, it only disables the reporting of whatever band was disabled. This is due to the V1's frequency scheme: it receives both K and Ka during the same LO sweep, which is the bulk of the sweep time, and devotes very little time to sweeping X or Ku since those bands are much narrower than Ka. So, for example, Euro users can't just disable Ka on a non-Euro unit in hopes of getting better sensitivity for the 24.125 K-Band Gatso. I'm not sure, but since previous versions pretty much had a "fixed" sweep, it is possible that there might also have been some hardware changes for the way the V1 synthesizes the sweep too.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Really interesting stuff. Thanks, Jim!

Good Citizen

Indeed, thanks for the insight.

Newcomer

I thought that the upgrade is free if you bought a V1 within a year of the upgrade.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by willsrx
    I thought that the upgrade is free if you bought a V1 within a year of the upgrade.

Software upgrade free--His requires hardware too

I would call them and ask the question though, you may get Penny on a good day :? and they will hook you up for free?

Scatch that--ask to speak to a tech, he may hook you up