Thread: Wiring for V1

Professional

Default Wiring for V1

well i noticed that with my car i can easily run a hidden wire, but the cable that comes wiht the V1 is not long enough, and i was wondering is that cable just a standard phone cable and if i go out and by a longer one would it work just as good or is there a possibility it will harm my V1?
    Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

Any Phone Cord will work - just make sure its not an "economy one" those wires are too thin and won't provide enough voltage to your v1.'

26AWG is what most of us use.

Professional

26AWG great exactly what i needed, thank you bauzer and Ace who i talked to in the chat room. you wouldnt happen to know were i can get one of those and what price for one thats 15-25ft long

Radar Fanatic

Any store carries them. Walmart, Target, Meijer, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Any decent store for that matter.

Radio Shack if you wanna pay 10x the value.

Professional

Awsome, now my hopefully last question, if this wire is too long or for any other reason can it mess up my V1? If of course its that correct wire, would length or anythign else affect voltage?

Radar Fanatic

It shouldnt, I was running a 15ft thin cord with my 2.909 and it was WAY to long and it didnt effect it, but as soon as I plugged my 3.851 into the thin cord it wasnt enough power. The cord I am using now is pretty long and is bunched up under my carpet, and everything works fine.

Radar Fanatic

Well think of it like this.

You have electricity running thru wires - not data. Electricity doesn't have a high attenuation rate - so figuratively speaking the wire could be 100's of feet long and I believe it would still work. Unlike with cat5e(ethernet) it has a higher attenuation rate and can be upto like 100 feet long w/o needing a repeater. Maybe it was 300 ft. I can't remember.

But basically, no worries - as long as you aren't running the wire all the way around the car twice - you'll be okay.

Professional

is it possible to accidently get a wire thats too big, that would supply too muhc power to the V1

Radar Fanatic

It is possible for the v1 to get too much power, but thats only if you hook it to too high of a voltage. And most cars won't go any higher than like 13.2 or 13.4 volts - which is the maximum the v1 will operate on.

Unless you hook your v1 up to an amp you got somewhere or TRY to get it too many volts - the size of the cord won't matter. It just has to be big enough.

Make sense?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by xXCriticizeXx
    is it possible to accidently get a wire thats too big, that would supply too muhc power to the V1

No, if I correctly understand your question. The wire size does not necessarily mean greater voltage.
    Think of it like this. The wire is like a water pipe, the voltage is like the water, the power (current) is the flow of water, and your RD is like the faucet. While the faucet is off there is no flow, but the potential is still there. When the faucet is opened, then the water flows. The larger the pipe, the greater the flow, and the inverse is true as well.
    Given the voltage is a constant (12v avg.), then your RD will only draw the amount of power (current) that it needs to operate properly. Hope this helps.
    BTW, If you haven't already, then you need to buy a meter that will measure DC voltage.