Good Citizen

Default Recommend V1 for use in Ontario/Quebec (vs STI)?

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I live in Ontario. Business takes me into the northeastern US several times a month, and sometimes up the 401 into Quebec.

I've been lurking here for some time, and taking in all of the anti-RDD success stories of the last year or so since the introduction of the BEL STI. I will soon, however, be the new owner of an Audi S4, for which a fully-integrated V1 display is available:

I am pretty anal about keeping everything stock-looking, and extra displays and equipment inside my cars are absolute no-nos. This will be the first vehicle I'll own which has the level of integration and stealth install I demand. The RD can be high mounted above the rear-view, with power coming out of the headliner.

Now, the STI is pretty tempting, considering where I live. I do realize, however, that despite this, modern V1s are still considered quite good when it comes to the OPP's Spectre RDDs.

Are there many V1 users in Ontario who can speak about the practicality (or risk?) of regular V1 usage along 400-series highways? Maybe it's so risky, I will have to reluctantly keep the RD stored in the trunk until I leave the province?

I would very much prefer the V1 just for the above integrated display — is this a stupid reason to be avoiding the STI? What are your thoughts?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Recommend V1 for use in Ontario/Quebec (vs STI)?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    I would very much prefer the V1 just for the above integrated display — is this a stupid reason to be avoiding the STI? What are your thoughts?
    Yes

Performance wise they're both good detectors and while I can see the attraction of an integrated display I don't think I'd be risking that kind of outlay on the luck of the draw with a RDD. Plus the V1 is a butt ugly little mother that looks like a prop out of an early episode of Star Trek.

V1 Zombie

Default Re: Recommend V1 for use in Ontario/Quebec (vs STI)?

Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    Yes

Performance wise they're both good detectors and while I can see the attraction of an integrated display I don't think I'd be risking that kind of outlay on the luck of the draw with a RDD. Plus the V1 is a butt ugly little mother that looks like a prop out of an early episode of Star Trek.
    Haha and the STi's a real good looking detector . For this guy's it all about the integrated display and yes it's great. While the Sti is with out any doubt a great detector (wish i had one) the V1 remote audio and display work so well. IMO your feelings are pretty well spot on. Hey get both you can afford it eh.
    PS I'm not from your part of the world I just checked your post out...

Old Timer

Default nice

Nice looking install dmg. I am impressed!

Professional

Default Re: nice

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    Nice looking install dmg. I am impressed!
    That is stock Audi Driver info. device, There is a company that makes an interface to hook into that screen for alerts from the V-1.

Also, the V-1 is only detectable from 166 feet with a Spectre RDD.

A simple power-kill switch could easily be added to that circuit in an audi without destroying the aesthetics.

Or, you could use a remote kill so no wires, or use the power from the radio to power the V-1, killing the radio kills power to the RD.

This would be fairly simple to do. many sound system amps. use a lead from the head unit as a power-up trigger signal. this could also be done for a V-1 without much thought or engineering.

Another possibility is a guy in Australia/New Zealand makes an mod product for the V-1 that makes it undetectable (Mike Z?) and it does not affect range.

Radar Fanatic

If I could have that install - OMG - wow - I would do it in an instant.

Who care how ugly a detector is if you can hide it for the most part anyway? You'd never even have to look at the v1