Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default V1 Update from 3.818 to 3.819

I just called Valentine and was told that I could update from software version 3.818 to 3.819 to fix a "J" alert problem. This will be the latest software version they have (minus the Euro Mode which is 3.824). I purchased my unit on Jan 7, 05 so the upgrade is free. Michael, the tech quide, made it sound like any upgrade to .819 would be free but that is just my interpretation.

Advanced Member

Default Re: V1 Update from 3.818 to 3.819

Quote Originally Posted by CactusMan
    I just called Valentine and was told that I could update from software version 3.818 to 3.819 to fix a "J" alert problem. This will be the latest software version they have (minus the Euro Mode which is 3.824). I purchased my unit on Jan 7, 05 so the upgrade is free. Michael, the tech quide, made it sound like any upgrade to .819 would be free but that is just my interpretation.
    It's cool that they let you update without forcing the "Euro Mode" on you.
    Euro requires hardware changes and is not a free upgrade...

Radar Fanatic

Thanks Jim. I upgraded my wife's V1 to POP2, it was no longer under warrenty so it did cost but they tossed in the Euro mode too (at cost I am sure) and gave her a new serial number to indicate (as I was told) that her V1 had the Euro mode. I told Michael the tech guide that I didnt need the Euro mode so I guess thats why it's free. Besides my V1 is only 6 months old so it is still under warrenty.

Speed Demon

I bought my Valentine One in October of 2004, it was V1.8 POP1 with 3.817 firmware. I should have gotten the free POP2 upgrade but I waited too long. I went to the V1 site and it was no longer a free upgrade, it would now cost $75 to get POP2 with Euro mode. I wrote them a letter and sent it in with the suction cup mount because I was having a problem with the adjustment button on top.

I sent it to them on 5/24/05 Tuesday and they got it on 5/26/05 Thursday. I just got it back on 6/02/05 Thursday by Fedex. My V1 was upgraded from 3.817 POP1 to 3.824 POP2 with Euro-mode and they gave me a brand new suction cup mount. My V1 was also given a new serial number and it was in a brand new box with foam and new instruction manual. I also forgot to add in that with this upgrade comes a new 1 year warranty. The cost of this was $0.

Valentine Research is like no other company I have ever dealt with before. I couldn't believe that I could own a V1 for 7 months and send it in and get a free upgrade, new suction mount, new box w/ foam, new instruction manual with POP and "J" information, and a new one year warranty with no questions asked.

Speed Demon

And people ask why V1 owners are so obsessed about their detector. Excellent product, excellent customer service, great resale value!

V1 detectors as someone else stated is a religion.

The valentine one is to radar detectors as the Mac is to computers. Owned by a select few and ever so growing.

Guess what kind of computer I own? :wink:

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by midd
    And people ask why V1 owners are so obsessed about their detector. Excellent product, excellent customer service, great resale value!

V1 detectors as someone else stated is a religion.

The valentine one is to radar detectors as the Mac is to computers. Owned by a select few and ever so growing.

Guess what kind of computer I own? :wink:
    Mac... Mac?! Try Linux

Just messin with ya, I guess us nix geeks are more like a cult :shock:

Who wants some fruit punch?

Seroously though OS X is pretty slick

-Bill

Lead Foot

BiGeAsYgUy,
    You are lucky. I was given the option of going from 3.818 to 3.819 for froo or from 3.818 to 3.824 for $75.00.
    I took the second option because the second isn't just a software update, it is also an upgrade of the hardware. I dont know what hardware changes are made but this is what I was told by VR.
    You can see the thread I started here. http://www.radardetector.net/Info-on....824-1941t.php

Lead Foot

Actually I have been dealing with VR since 1992 and I have to say they actually are one of the most honest companies to deal with. In my case I had to pay for the 3.824 upgrade. I wasnt forced to as they had a free option available for me and others who have 3.818 units.
    I am self employed and I deal with many, many manufacturers who never admit to an engineering flaw, but I must admit VR doesn't bury thier mistakes they admit to them derive a solution and act on it.

Lead Foot

No actually if you look at what I posted I did not pay for an upgrade I could have had for free what I said was I opted to pay for the euro but VR gave me the option for a free J problem fix and this free fix is available to everyone,

Also I didnt say anything about burying the truth. What I said was VR is one of not many firms around who admit to engineering mistakes and correct them instead of burying them.

Also MV still has on his web site that he dismisses the validity of pop being accurate. It is in the ask Mike section I cant remember what question number it is. I agree that pop may not be accurate but if law changes and pop become accepted and admisible in court well we all have some problems because no manufacturer currrently can detect the MPH Z series at .016 second burst.

Professional

It shows that Mike V. was right the FIRST time about the POP scare. He should've held his ground and not cave in to the BS. However, he is a business man and sometimes that dictates your actions, even though you disagree. :?

Now, Mike V. is caught up in all this software revisions and firmware crap... send the v1 in, get it back, send it in again, get it back, send it in again..

I'm glad I still have the O.G. V1.8 8)

Brent V.