Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default V1 v. 3.824 Buggy Software

User options [7, b, C, d] do not work if turned on in this firmware release.

I reported it with Kevin at V1 Tech Support, he said that they were coming up with a fix maybe next week.

I guess this is the type of bug that varies from firmware to firmware.

Cheetah Rep

Thanks for the info.
    This would confirm the problem ghz1 was having. i guess it's not just his detector.
    Well i guess i'll wait again until they fix this problem.

Radar Fanatic

Gees, I just got my wifes back with the latest version. She has had it two days. Dont want to send it in again. What do 7, b, c and d do? If not critical, ill leave it alone. I just sent mine in to have the software updated from 3.818 to 3.819 - just today.

Radar Fanatic

I just printed out Valentine report #3 on how to reprogram the V1. I see what features you are talking about with 7, b,c, d. I dont use those features cept for the factory default. I hope my upgrade from 3.818 to 3.819 solves the "J" alert featrure.

Cheetah Rep

Option 7 turns on the "automute" feature for k band only.
    b,c,d set the amount of time delay for it.
    Basically what it does is if it gets a weak k band signal and you are in big "L" mode, it will delay alerting for the amount of time you have preset.
    I believe from 3 to 30 seconds.

Lead Foot

RacerX,
    I thought it muted the K band totally for what ever time you desire regardless of strength. Am I wrong about this? Does it only mute K on a weak signal for the time set?

Cheetah Rep

Sorry, let me clarify.
    If the strength exceeds 4 lights, then it "un-mutes" (alerts) immediately.
    Under that it stays quiet up to the preset time.
    If you change option "E" it won't unmute until 6 lights, or the time.
    If you then change option "F", it it won't unmute at 6 lights.

As for alerting immediately above 6 lights if you change E and F, i haven't tested that yet.
    I actually am adding those tests to my k band test.
    I hope this clarifys things.

Cheetah Rep

Well, i decided to go outside and test option F.
    I would NOT change that one for now. I would have discovered this during my testing, but here's what it does.

Option E will hold at 4 lights, but above alerts quick and appears to work as it should.
    Option F on the other hand is a different story. I have a 15 sec delay set with b,c,d. If i change F, it won't break at the six light barrier, until the 15 seconds, then it alerts at full volume. So you can kiss any warning goodbye.
    i used my tester and a k band gun to test it. also the V1 acts odd, similar to if option G is enabled. It tends to alert my k band gun as ka with F changed in "L" mode.

My list of V1 quirks is growing. I plan on making a list to give to VR before i eventually send it in for my free upgrade, to see if they address or are aware of these problems.

Another odd thing i noticed (which would explain why 1 light can trigger it immediately even with a time delay) is that it takes about 8 to 10 seconds to reset after alerting. Meaning that if i have it in "L" mode, with say a 15 sec delay, 1 light will not trigger it until 15 seconds. however if it gets a signal that breaks the barrier, even if that signal stops, within 8-10 seconds of that signal it will immediately alert to even 1 light, instead of holding it. After the 8-10 seconds, it will wait until the delay is up to alert to that weak signal.

I would urge any V1 users to not change option F. If you do please test it out so you don't leave yourself open. The other thing that makes it worse than Option G, is that G seems to only affect the rear antenna, whereas F affects front and rear.

Lead Foot

RacerX,
    Good info, thanks for the heads up and your time finding out the quirks.
    Btw, I found out what the hardware change is in the 3.824 upgrade. It turns out it is a new main processor board. The recieive section remain the same as 3.817 outside of what the new firmware tell it to do.

Default Question about testing

I know that i read in some tests that the 8500 had far more range in the fast growing blah blah blah Ka and K bands..... and i was wondering that if the reason the 8500 alerted before the V1 supposedly was becuase of the programming of the V1 unit. I'm referring to the option of the 3-30 second inital mute period of warning for the K and Ka bands. Do you guys think that could have anything to do with it? :idea:

I think ive just become paranoid about believing what people say so much nowadays. Not a good thing i guess