Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default V1 with 3 antenas

Has anyone ever searched the US Patent office web site? I was poking around looking at the Valentine patents and if you you look at patent 5,151,701 you will see that M. Valentine has also pantented a 3 antena version. 1 front antena and two 120 degrees left and right of the front.
    It also shows the unit having 4 arrows as opposed to the current front, side and rear. I wonder if this was the original intended design that never made it to market due to cost of manufacture, or was it patented for other reasons such as to keep competition from being allowed to use it.

These patents are very detailed along with drawings and diagrams. It also spells out in one of his patents how the bogey counter decides the threat level of each radar it detects.

I found it very interesting to see the amount of work, engineering, and design had been put into the V1 and all from a few Ohio guys.

Take a look at it and do a search on "AN/(valentine and (research))"

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm

Professional

Default Re: V1 with 3 antenas

Quote Originally Posted by itisjustme
    Has anyone ever searched the US Patent office web site? I was poking around looking at the Valentine patents and if you you look at patent 5,151,701 you will see that M. Valentine has also pantented a 3 antena version. 1 front antena and two 120 degrees left and right of the front.

Shhhhh...this is V1.9

Ohio as the home of radar and speed enforcement? I'd say so. These guys are serious about their ECMs !

Default size

i just had the 8500 and its bigger to me than the V1. i dont understand all the fuss about the size of the thing. it actuall works better being put above the rear view mirror in my car because its not as long as the 8500 and so i can use my sun visors like im supposed to be able to. it also makes it easier to read since its further away from my head. :roll:

Im also really impressed with the mount of the V1. I mean they always say to build your house on a rock rather than sand. So why not start with a solid, dependable, and customizable mount? The magnesium case also gives it some strength and still ways a lot less than the 8500. (I dont mean to argue about any of this. I just wanted to say what ive experienced first-hand)

peace out fellas

Yoda of Radar

Why do that instead of a single antenna rear and the two up front? The 120-120-120 with one at the front would have the rears looking directly at the steel sail panels of pretty much every car...

Advanced Member

why have attenne's on the sides when radar can not be worked perpendicular

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Yoda of Radar

Not necessarily the sides, more like a widened field of view. You are NEVER going to run into radar straight ahead. Otherwise you will run into it quite physically.

Unless it's same-lane rear radar or whatever.

So the majority of the time, it's on the shoulder on the right, or the median, or a car coming down the opposing lane.

Yoda of Radar

This thing would false like a mad sum*****.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Not necessarily the sides, more like a widened field of view. You are NEVER going to run into radar straight ahead. Otherwise you will run into it quite physically.

Unless it's same-lane rear radar or whatever.

So the majority of the time, it's on the shoulder on the right, or the median, or a car coming down the opposing lane.
    I take it you have never seen an officer parked at the end of "T" shaped intersection or along smaller road or driveway that continues to go straight while the main road curves away. If done correctly there is no cosine error to "help" drivers out with speed readings. I have seen this done often especially late at night, at the bottom of hills, and along very long stretches of highway. The only good news is that it is easier to detect than angled readings across the road.

Interesting find. I think the utility would be small in that it would tell you which side of the road to look. The problem would be radar reflections. For instance if there was a cop hiding behind a bridge on the left as you were headed to pass underneath. The radar would reflect off the bridge and possibily give you a false sense of where the signal is coming from.

Professional

Itisjustme,

nice link . I tought the v-1 secret was the calculation of the phase angle of the radar beam . Much ''simplier'' , it is based on the strenght difference , quite a performance when the difference is at the most few inches between the 2 antennas !

The Canadian army has a similar system to find the source of gun shots provenance based on the time difference between reception from 3 sensors.

Kudo Mr. Valentine . I hope he could do the same when comes indectability from rdd , well Roy Zeiger did it . How patents are managed in this case : patent on a patent ?