Newcomer

Default Valentine 1.6 vs 1.8 - Question...

Ok,

So some slime stole my V1 1.8 unit. Of course, it was my fault, so to speak: I purchased a new car and kept the old one... both have the same key/keyfob thing and I must have locked the old car... [I'm looking forward to the person coming back and getting his mug on the high resolution night-vision camera I installed...]

I had 1.7 unit for YEARS... litterally about 5 years. (At least I bought it in 1999... so I think that's the model number.)

Several months before the theft of my V1 1.8, that I had upgraded to from my 1.7, I noticed that the 1.8 tended to indicate RADAR sources were actually behind me... when they were certainly in FRONT of me.

The old V1 didn't have this problem... It's was very reliable when indicating a direction to a source.

Has anyone noticed this issue as well?

Before I run out an purchase another V1, I'd like to get an idea as to what the deal is.

(Edited for grammar...)

Lead Foot

before you got out and purchase a new V1, why not just have it upgraded? run your serial number on your 1.6 and see how much it would cost.

Radar Fanatic

It would probably be about 275 dollars as a rough guess.

You'd almost be better trying to sell it on fleabay or just hold onto it and get a new "refurb" at 360 or go the whole way for 400.

Radar Fanatic

If you bought the V1 in 1999, it is most likely a hardware version 1.7, which IMHO is very good. The advantages of 1.8 over 1.7 that I see are slightly better Ka detection and possibly better K band, again only by a small margin. Laser detection is better on 1.8 but there are more false alarms too. If you upgrade to 1.8 you will get POP radar detection, and it is up for debate how necessary POP protection is. There have not been many reports of POP radar use, it just depends on where you drive.

GTO_04

Lead Foot

1.7 to 1.8 is about 175 (around there) soo 1.6 to 1.8 would probably be around 250.

Newcomer

What I'd really like to know is if I'm the only person with a 1.8 V1 that noticed it tended to indicate RADAR sources were behind me, when in fact they were in front of me?

Newcomer

Default answer to the arrows ....

The V1 will show from what direction the strongest signal is coming from. The radar beam bounces off nearby objects like highway signs and buildings. The objects act like reflectors and the chances are the object due to its large surface area is reflecting more of the radar beam back to the detector than the radar source. This happens to me everyday when I go past a K-band speed sign on I-71. I know very well the sign is behind me when the detector shows radar to the front of me. Once the rear antenna gets in line of sight the sign itself then the arrows change to radar to the rear.

Of course, your unit may have a hardware problem and may need to be sent in to VR for repair. I suggest you check and see if it is doing this with other radar sources. If the arrow problem continues with other radar sources, then send it in.

Radar Fanatic

I looked to see how much it would cost to up grade my 2.909 and the web site said 275 or something like that, FYI.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    I looked to see how much it would cost to up grade my 2.909 and the web site said 275 or something like that, FYI.
    That sounds high as my front only laser with older software than yours is $229 and if I did not do the 97 1.6 upgrade it would be $279

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Default Re: Valentine 1.6 vs 1.8 - Question...

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard
    The old V1 didn't have this problem...
    That quote pops up quite a bit around here. If the one you have is truly a 1.7 I would go with it. If it is a 1.6 put it on Fleabay & buy a refurb.