Newcomer

Default Effectiveness through tinted windows??

I need a radar detector, and I'm seriously considering the Valentine One. However, I am concerned about one particular area...

I have a Nissan Pathfinder, and I live in CA. My rear windows (both rear passenger doors, the rear window on the tailgate, and the rear quarter windows in the cargo area) are all tinted. Completely blacked out from visibility from the outside. Living in California, my front door windows and the windshield are not tinted at all, except with whatever very slight tint the manufacturers throw on at the factory.

How effective can Valentine's rear detector be through the tinted back windows? Is it useless, or only marginally affected?

dt

Radar Fanatic

If its metallic - it will be just about useless from the rear. If it is nonmetallic - the rd will be normal.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    If its metallic - it will be just about useless from the rear. If it is nonmetallic - the rd will be normal.
    Metallic??? I have no idea. How can I find out?

I know when I had the windows tinted last year, I had a professional do it, and paid heavily for the best film type of tint I could get from SunGuard.

Old Timer

Default Tint

Tint does have somewhat of an effect on range.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bauzer71487
    those are strong words. i dont think they will be useless so to speak, you will just lose a little range thats all. and the v1 has the best rear detection so i think it will be okay.

Professional

While this is not a scientific proof, I did test the rear detection range on a radar trailer with both of my cars and found that the rear detection range was about the same. One car has 20% metallic tint all the way around, the other no tint.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Asleeper
    While this is not a scientific proof, I did test the rear detection range on a radar trailer with both of my cars and found that the rear detection range was about the same. One car has 20% metallic tint all the way around, the other no tint.
    Yes, totaly TRUE. My Audi is tinted with 15% metallic tint all the way except windshield and I tested my V1 against constant Ka and I got 3 miles with rear antenna and 3.4 with front antenna. Trust me you should have enough time to slow down. Dont Worry ! :mrgreen:

Old Timer

Default doesn't

Doesn't tint effect laser though? Not sure? Professor Jim