Thread: K band muting

Experienced

Default K band muting

Hi, All.

How many seconds of muting do you use on K band? The arrow indicators in b,C & d are set as default to 10 seconds, do you find this ok, or do you reduce the muting delay?

Cheers.

Good Citizen

you should only mute if you are in the city environment..
    and when i am.. i have it to the minimum of 4 seconds

Radar Fanatic

Most of us that use this feature use the maximum of thirty-seconds and wish that VR would increase it longer as you can watch the false alert LED's in town and know that regular volume will eventually break through causing you to mute the signal anyway.
    I have always went one step further and used (G) to mute the rear antenna as it will automute a breakthrough when passing to the rear.
    Nice thing about this feature is that switching to (A) mode cancels out any of these settings.
    The minimum time delay is three-seconds not four.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Most of us that use this feature use the maximum of thirty-seconds and wish that VR would increase it longer as you can watch the false alert LED's in town and know that regular volume will eventually break through causing you to mute the signal anyway.
    I have always went one step further and used (G) to mute the rear antenna as it will automute a breakthrough when passing to the rear.
    Nice thing about this feature is that switching to (A) mode cancels out any of these settings.
    The minimum time delay is three-seconds not four.
    I have mine the same, except for the G.

And it is nice you can switch to A and have it go to preety much normal.

I do wish you could change your bands as you went from A to l to L

So in A mode I could have x band enabled an in l I could have it disabled. In time I hope.

Experienced

Cheers

Are you saying that mute sounds the muted volume for the duration of the setting then the normal volume kicks in, or is their no sound at all until the mute duration is over?

I haven't had my V1 in the car yet, I'll be hardwiring it in the next couple of days, waiting for th econcealed display to arrive. I ordered that before I came across this forum and saw the ones available here, they look neat. I ordered my concealed display from the guy at ebay, nice and slim with the cable out of the back, tidy. I may go for the coloured LEDs at some point .

Experienced

No worries, just saw the sticky on this subject.

Professional

WHY DOESN'T V1 OFFER A SETTING WHICH KEEPS K MUTED UNTIL SIGNAL STRENGTH GETS HIGHER THAN A PRESET VALUE( 4 or 6 dots) INSTEAD OF BEING BASED ON TIME?

With the 30 second mute feature enabled, I always have to reach up and press mute anyway when I'm sitting at traffic lights with a false K source nearby. And for 29 of the 30 seconds I am just waiting for the volume to go to full before I have to reach up and mute ANYWAY.

I find it very frustrating but I guess this doesn't bother anyone else.
    With K band radar on the decline and Ka on the rise, I feel it's just a matter of time before more people will see the advantage to this option.

I for one hope VR takes this optional setting into consideration on their next iteration of the V1.

Radar Fanatic

Frustrating it is not longer, Buz you can mute the signal before the thirty seconds is over, just push the mute at any time after it starts the muted alert.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Frustrating it is not longer, Buz you can mute the signal before the thirty seconds is over, just push the mute at any time after it starts the muted alert.
    I use the mute button all the time. My volume control is set at 12 o'clock and the mute tab at 2 o'clock. I get all the volume I need even with the radio and and windows open and it is muted just enough to barely hear it - with the windows down and the radio on. No complaints here.

Professional

V1 Dave wrote:
    Thanks V1 Dave, but I am completely aware that hitting mute at any time will mute my V1. I usually wait to hit mute because sometimes the light will change before I get to the 30 second time limit.

Cactus Man,
    I understand what you are saying, but my point is that I don't want to have to reach up and touch my V1 except for when I'm turning it on or off. I don't like to reach up and hit mute all the time.

My suggestion to VR (hopefully someone from VR is reading this) is to make infinite K muting an OPTION. Not a default setting, but an OPTION for someone who doesn't want to hear the loud K beeping unless the signal strength breaks a certain threshold.(regardless of how long the signal is present) Ever sit at a light for 2 minutes with a drugstore nearby and notice that the entire time you are sitting at the light that your V1 is going off with just 1 or 2 bars of strength? It happens to me all the time. This option would keep the V1 muted the entire time unless signal strength exceeds 4 or 6 bars. Please someone tell me I'm not crazy for wanting this option.