My buddy has a V1 that I might buy. He has no idea how much he should sell it to me for.
1) Is there a way to see what version it is? He bought it in 2002.
2) What would be a fair price for it?
3) How much does it cost to have the software updated?
Yes you can see what SOFTWARE version.
when turning power on - hold the button down for 4-5 seconds(Every light on the display will light) tap it once and it will read the #'s across.
Refer to This list once you have the software version # to see what it has/doesn't have.
Fair Price - Depends - probably 200-250. Worth = 300
Updated - grab the serial off the back and plug it in to. . .
Should be anywhere from 75 - 225 depending on how much needs to be done.[/url]
I would give no more than $400 minus what ever it would take for an upgrade from Valentine. http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/ You get a bargain V1 now and when you have some extra funds later on you can upgrade to the latest and you will only have invested what the new one would have cost.
Originally Posted by bauzer71487
I had seen that list - but it doesn't go below version 3.... Any idea what version a V1 from 2002 might be. Would I run into any problems being that the detector is 5 years old (ie; if the RD hadn't been registered will I still be able to upgrade?)
Also, would the V1 from 5 years ago have the Ka range of versions 3...? I know the laser from back then is good, but I am worried about Ka (which is the biggest threat around me.)
The only reason I am even thinking about the V1 is because I returned my X50 Rev 6.1 to Best Buy because when I bought it a couple weeks ago they said they offered the performance plan. When I went there two days ago to purchase the performance plan they said they discontinued the performance plan a few months ago. So, I was wrongly informed. The only reason I bought it from BB is the performance plan.
Basically, I am torn between this V1 and the X50. I like the X50 because it is quiet. I also LOVE the blue LED's.
He is willing to sell it to me for $200. But, if I were to send it in to get upgraded I would spend $75-200. That right there would buy me a brand new X50 that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of sending it in.
Sorry about all the questions. It's just I am about to drop ~$400 and I want to be happy with my purchase.
All V1s are "registered" at the time of sale. As long as the serial number is readable and the unit hasn't been reported to Valentine as stolen it is upgradable.
Originally Posted by wanderingmind
To make your life easier:
Call valentine 1 with the serial number and just ask how much for an update and what performance it currently has and what an update would do for it.