Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Thoughts on the V-1 carrying case

What are your thoughts on the carrying case for the V-1?

Ironically I find this to be the one area of their product line where function is second to form. The asthetics of the case are top notch, right down to the textured zipper that sports the V-1 logo. The hard case is also encapsulated in an attractive black fabric that once again contains the textured V-1 logo.

I was slightly less impressed with the fabric handle atop the case. It seemed more like an after thought than part of an integrated design concept. Time will tell if the hand full of stitches attaching it to the main body of the case will be sufficient to hold up to the ravages of daily use.

A glance inside reveals what are essentially four sections of storage. Three of these sections are constructed of sturdy mesh webbing. The final section consists of a preformed "padded dock" that protects the front sensor array from scratching.

Curiously, the storage configuration of V-1 components recomended on the packaging of the case are inconsistant with the photo of the case on Valentine's website.

After a playing with a variety of storage options, this reviewer found the instructions on the packaging superior. This is due to the fact that when stored in the upper left quadrant the power adapter will rub against the padded dock, thus creating an unsightly indention.

Despite the many positive design qualities of this case, there remains one unfortunate drawback. The V-1 can not be stored while still attached to the windshield mount. The oversight results in the V-1 having to be reattached to the windshield mount, and readjusted before each use.

While some would argue that this provides the versitility to cary both the windshield and visor mounts, it also adds a considerable amount of prep time to any morning commute.

Closing thoughts:

Overall the V-1 carrying case is a great way to protect your investment in, and insure the longevity of, your radar locator.

Astheticly it is subtle, sleek and classy. (Perhaps Mike and the team are overcompensating for the long endured criticisms regarding the V-1's look.)

Functionally, it could stand to be slightly larger, and the carrying handle could be reengeneered to be stronger. If the V-1 could be stored with the windshild mount already attached, it wold make this reviewer a very happy camper indeed.

Finally, cost. At another $30 this case stays constant with a long time critizism of Valentine products. They ain't free. It wold be nice if the team at Valentine Research saw fit include this case with the purchase of a new V-1.

Professional

I think I can say that the only time I would use such a fine case, would be when I travel by air, and carry my V1 in my carry on bag, for use in a rental car while at my destination.

Having to remove and replace the mount each day would be too much of a hassle.

Ed

Radar Fanatic

I brought my V1 on my last business trip since I knew that I'd be doing a lot of highway driving once I got to Wisconsin. (Ironically, I encountered zero law enforcement on the trip.) To pack it in my carry-on I just wrapped it in a large dish towel and tied it with a string. Simple, effective, cheap. I don't think that it could have been any better protected from shock or impact since there was at least an inch of material surrounding it on every side. The case looks nice but I've given VR enough of my money already.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Thoughts on the V-1 carrying case

Quote Originally Posted by ArtistZ
    What are your thoughts on the carrying case for the V-1?

Ironically I find this to be the one area of their product line where function is second to form. The asthetics of the case are top notch, right down to the textured zipper that sports the V-1 logo. The hard case is also encapsulated in an attractive black fabric that once again contains the textured V-1 logo.

I was slightly less impressed with the fabric handle atop the case. It seemed more like an after thought than part of an integrated design concept. Time will tell if the hand full of stitches attaching it to the main body of the case will be sufficient to hold up to the ravages of daily use.

A glance inside reveals what are essentially four sections of storage. Three of these sections are constructed of sturdy mesh webbing. The final section consists of a preformed "padded dock" that protects the front sensor array from scratching.

Curiously, the storage configuration of V-1 components recomended on the packaging of the case are inconsistant with the photo of the case on Valentine's website.

After a playing with a variety of storage options, this reviewer found the instructions on the packaging superior. This is due to the fact that when stored in the upper left quadrant the power adapter will rub against the padded dock, thus creating an unsightly indention.

Despite the many positive design qualities of this case, there remains one unfortunate drawback. The V-1 can not be stored while still attached to the windshield mount. The oversight results in the V-1 having to be reattached to the windshield mount, and readjusted before each use.

While some would argue that this provides the versitility to cary both the windshield and visor mounts, it also adds a considerable amount of prep time to any morning commute.

Closing thoughts:

Overall the V-1 carrying case is a great way to protect your investment in, and insure the longevity of, your radar locator.

Astheticly it is subtle, sleek and classy. (Perhaps Mike and the team are overcompensating for the long endured criticisms regarding the V-1's look.)

Functionally, it could stand to be slightly larger, and the carrying handle could be reengeneered for to be stronger. If the V-1 could be stored with the windshild mount already attached it wold make this reviewer a very happy camper indeed.

Finally, cost. At another $30 this case stays constant with a long time critizism of Valentine products. They ain't free. It wold be nice if the team at Valentine Research saw fit include this case with the purchase of a new V-1.
    I think you have way to much time on your hands.

Good Citizen

I think you have way to much time on your hands.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    The case looks nice but I've given VR enough of my money already.
    My thinking was pretty much the opposite- I figured I've already blown so much coin on the RD that I may as well have a proper case for storage/protection. :wink:

I'm pretty happy with the case overall, it's very sturdy, provides lots of protection and room for pretty much everything in it. Having to take the windshield mount off is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it rather quickly and it doesn't take that much more time for me. I do agree that the 'handle' looks flimsy, but I don't think it'll fall off either.

Professional

I dont have the carrying case. I take the V1 inside, or lock it in the glove box.

Why would anyone remove the windshield mount? Just slide the V1 in and out and leave the mount on the windshield. That would be too much of a hassle to remove the suction cups each and every time you got out of the car.

Scratonicity Groupie

yeah, I agree with Brent. Everytime I get out of the car for the night or if its hot / cold outside I just slide it out of the mount and carry it inside.

gotta protect my babe!

staton

Radar Fanatic

When I use it in my SUV it is windshield mounted at dash level (deciding factor was to see the lights without looking up) if this vehicle is not in the garage or If I am unsure about the area I am in at a particular time I will slide it out.
    In my regular everyday car I leave it in the vehicle in the driveway but it is left visor left side clipped so it is hard to see. Both are hard wired to ignition acc.
    At work I slide it out to use it in my work vehicle (transports in lunch box lighter plug left in work vehicle)
    It's been working this way fine since 85.
    Only two of you have my address and I know who you are.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    It's been working this way fine since 85.
    Since 1985? if so you been lucky to have a V1 for 7 years before the rest of us. :wink: