Good Citizen

Default Running Two detectors at the same time?

I was reading the Veil guy's review of radar detectors, as per Radar Roys recomendation. One thing struck me as odd though, he ran at least two radar detectors at once. As I understand even though the detectors did not set each other off, they were probably fighting eachother a fair amount. According to Mike Valentine:
    "Our metal case serves as a vault to keep out various electrical interferences from other devices. These interferences are particularly insidious, worse than false alarms, because they can be in there desensitizing your receiving circuits, thereby hurting your warning range, but you have no way of knowing. "

My question is regarding the desensitization, by running two detectors simultaniously, would their be any perminent effects to the detectors from simultanious testing?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Running Two detectors at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by bigb3500
    My question is regarding the desensitization, by running two detectors simultaniously, would their be any perminent effects to the detectors from simultanious testing?
    There would be NO permanent effects to the detectors.

Radar Fanatic

Both detetectors will also NOT be at the top of their game.

Yes the Veil review was called into question because he ran RDs together.

I have witnessed the degradation in performance of a V1 when running it along side an X50......90% of the time things "appeared" fine and then wham....no alert from the V1 and the X50 amped up to full alert and the LEO spotted....using Ka. I turned the X50 off, circled back and the V1 was fine. The Professor was the one who really convinced of the error in my ways...

I work on two-way public safety radios for a living.
    Since the radar detector is a radio receiver, many of the same problems exist.
    If there is a strong signal close to the receiver- perhaps off freq, it can desensitize the receiver so that it will not pickup the desired signal nearly as well.
    Since they are SuperHet receivers, the LO of one receiver can interact with the circuitry of the other. Plus the detector has a lot of 'anti-falshing' circuitry that could see the second detector as a false.

So yes, certainly can affect it- but it wouldn't be permanent. As soon as you turned off/unplugged the second unit the first would be back to normal.

Did that make any sense at all?

Mark