Lead Foot

Default Visor/plastic interfering with rear antenna?

On an '03 Corvette coupe, I have the V1 mounted about as high as it can possibly go, way into the tint strip, right next to the rear-view. Now, the problem with this is that the plastic bracket for securing the visor on that side is in the way, as is part of the visor's material.

I was wondering just how much this will affect rear detection.

Good Citizen

If the V1 cannot "see" out the rear window, then its probably affectting it quite a bit, thats what i found out with my Mustang. I have found the BEST possible place to mount is RIGHT below the rear view mirrior, just so the rear sensor clears the mirrior. In my testing i have noticed that rear detection is greatly increased, and the arrows are MUCH more responsive. I have mine direct wired, up the side, through the top liner, then down right by the mirrior. I hope this helps!

- jordan

Lead Foot

It certainly does It's just that my problem is that I tend to favor stealth over maximal detection, but am constantly trying to get both.

There is a company that makes a mirror mount for the V1 (and now the x50, I think), but that leaves the detector square in the middle of the windshield - not exactly my idea of stealthy mounting practice. The only other thing I could think of doing is lowering the V1 so that it's visible from outside, below the tint band, but so the rear antenna has a somewhat better view out the hatch.

Speed Demon

Veri,

The location just below the mirror isn't too bad for stealthiness, at least from behind. My X50 is there and while I'd prefer it above the rear view (I have those darn black dots up there), a buddy of mine was behind me and said he really couldn't see it. He knew it was there so he was looking for it but he commented it was still tough to see. I have it so only the display can be read, I can't see the top buttons at all.

Radar Fanatic

Veri,
    Have you thought about using a visor mount with a direct wire down the side pillar to ignition acc then use a concealed display for stealthiness and not having to look up at a display?
    As that is what I do in one of my vehicles. Left side left visor, easy mute access, even if someone were to see it the unit appears to be a garage door opener.

Newcomer

I know that every car will be different, but has anybody tested to see how much of a difference there is between a visor mount and a windshield mount.

I think that laser would be affected a lot using a visor mount, especially if there is a tint strip.

Good Citizen

Actually, thats an ok location. Its very close to where mine is mounted. I will take a picture tonight and post so you can get a reference. My rear laser is blocked. But I wouldent worry about that. I figure that if im getting flagged from the rear by laser, then he is in a stationary position behind me, and I'm already speeding........... You do the math :wink: J/K. ALWAYS pull over, no matter what... Trust me.
    Andrew

Radar Fanatic

Using my visor mount with tint on top still works at the laser falsing locations.(red neon lights, circle star theater in San Carlos)
    I do have less laser sensitivity (1.7) but my laser diodes drop down 1/4 inch (old case)
    Laser has never been an issue with me as I have still only been hit twice in my whole life. Both times windshield at dash level no pull over.